• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

new motors ??

fire bronc

Loc.
iowa
who has the best deals on new motors.want to get a new 5.0 wheres the best place to buy a long block.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Not the cheapest ---- but Ford SVO Racing has great crate motors that run strong. You can chooose from 302, 347, 351W or 392 motors and more. Motors come complete right down to the distributors so their not that bad of deal when you start adding up the parts

musetech

Loc.
Alexandria
Check out baddasscars.com if you have the time they can build you exactly what you want from mild to wild. At least worth a look to see engine combinations and they have an awesome tech FAQ page.

I would have gone this route if not for money already invested in my current combination.

Be wary of the parts warehouse type engines as they may sacrifice quality for quantity.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Check your local Advance Auto Parts, they sell the ReCon remanufactured engines which is the same ones that Summitt sells..that is if you are looking for a rebuilt long block with a warranty.. I used to work there, you can get a 3 year unlimited mile warr... I sold about 8 in 2 years myself and had no problems out of any of them...They do however require you to replace certain things when you put it in, ie...water pump, belts and hoses...but we offered a 15% discount on accessories bought for/with the new engine..not all stores offer that I am sure, but it kept our problems to a min...

Just my two cents...

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Go to a local hot rod show and see where most get their work done. Go to a local shop and get a good rebuild. It will cost a little more than the re-manu's but last longer and run better. It will probably be about 1/2 the price of a summit or factory crate motor.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) Old school hear find a good core and build it. Get a good machine shop to do the machine work. And but the good stuff no kit crap. get a new cam(not a regrind) new oil pump not rebuilt and you will end up with a fine running motor good luck. %) %) %) Bill :p :cool: %)

CDHUNTER

Loc.
Franklin, KY
We have a rebuilder in my area (Nashville) called grooms. They do motors with warranties including the labor for swap. Put one in an old pickup truck several years ago. Later sold it to a friend and its the only vehicle he's got that he can keep running. Just an educated guess but a 302 will probably run about 1500.

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
RajinCajun said:
Check your local Advance Auto Parts, they sell the ReCon remanufactured engines which is the same ones that Summitt sells..that is if you are looking for a rebuilt long block with a warranty.. I used to work there, you can get a 3 year unlimited mile warr... I sold about 8 in 2 years myself and had no problems out of any of them...They do however require you to replace certain things when you put it in, ie...water pump, belts and hoses...but we offered a 15% discount on accessories bought for/with the new engine..not all stores offer that I am sure, but it kept our problems to a min...

Just my two cents...

i did the Recon engine- the first one blew a valve after 2k miles. they replaced the whole thing under warranty, but it took almost a month cuz they messed up the order, and they still havent paid my labor reimbursment after 5 months.

now that i know more about engines, id just rebuild the next one myself. last spring, i hadnt done anything fancier that brake disks in 20 years,and i was in a hurry, so i did what i thought was the most idiot proof way. if you have the time, read up and do it yourself. though if you have too much cash, i crate is the easiest. id just rather spend that money on other stuff.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
we need someone in the bronco industry that builds EB-specific and custom engines. I bet there would be some money in it

Blue Beast

Loc.
Richmond VA
Jasper

I did the Jasper Stage 2 motor 302. It has 280hp and 315 ft lbs torque. It has a good warrenty on it. It was a good price @ $1700 and it came with an Edelbrock intake manifold on it. I have had it in for about 2 months and it really runs great. I added; MSD ignition, Jet hot headers, 4 barrel Edelbrock, Flowmasters. I don't know if it's the best but it was the easiest for me. I am too clueless to rebuild one and my friends said they have had great luck with Jasper. I just went to www.jasperengines.com

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I second the FOrd Crate Engine

I installed a 345HP 302 on my 65 Mustang Fastback with exceptional results. You can't go wrong here - it's a Ford manufactured engine off of a production line. It's completely ready to install if you go the serpentine route. I changed everything over for V belts.

Now, here's some advice, go to yoru LOCAL body shop or parts dealer. Most have access to these engines at wholesale prices from area Ford dealers. If you play your cards right, you can knock off a few hundred bucks and get a super engine.

Good luck.
Jeff

blksn8k

I agree the Ford crate motors are a good way to go. A few years ago a buddy bought the 351W with GT40 heads. He put it in an '85 2-wheel drive Ranger. He runs a C4 auto and narrowed 9". It will flat fry the rear 31x18.5 MT Sportsman tires. Now that's a strong running little truck! :eek:

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I am with you all about rebuilding a good core..that is what I do myself, I was just trying to answer the question.. Now no body get defensive, that was just my first thought.
The Jasper engines are good, but $$....but as always you get what you pay for. I would love to just go the Ford crate motor way, but that is a lot of $$..

I personally would rather take all my parts to the engine shop completely disassembled, and pick it up that way with freeze plugs in and pistons pressed on only...I would rather do the remainder of the assembly myself. I have done more than I can remember and still have not had any problems at all... No I am not trying to toot my own horn, just kinda proud of being able to build them myself and say that when someone asks... and I realize I still have a lot to learn so I like to work on about anything...even a *hevy, or a Heep....

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Outside of Mustang Mike out of NY, here is likely one of the best 5.0L shops in NA:
http://www.canadianperformancedepot.com/ (They were formerly known as 5.0 Depot)
The can produce a lot of power on a budget, and more importantly have it stay together. A good example is Chad's Mustang. Ran 9.40's, stock suspension, 10.5 tire, full interior, etc. all motor. Never got rebuilt for a whole a season. He is willing to sell the entire car with motor for less than $30K Canadian, and he figures to be able to make a profit. He came in second for the points in the OSCA with the other top 5 cars all having over 50-100K into them.
Tim's Stang went into the 8's three years ago. Again stock suspension, 10.5 tire, but he had juice. It took another year before anyone else to follow him that fast.
These guys are really fast, but the biggest point to be made is they don't often wrench on their cars on race weekends, because they don't have too.
Might be worth a call or email to see what they have available in streetable motors.
(I have to admit these guys are old friends and customers of mine. But they are worth bragging about,:) )