• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Parts or Upgrade Steering?

4x4livn

So i just bought a 1972 Bronco with a 2.5 inch lift and 33s on saturday. It runs great and goes down the road pretty well. It has power steering, but some of the front end components could definitely use some work. My end goal is 35s and lockers. So please keep that in mind. While i looked at the steering parts, I had a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth. The whole tierod is rotating before it moves the wheels. Is the rotation of the tierod indicative of just worn out parts, or that it cannot handle the stress of 33s? I am try to decide if i should just order replacement parts from a company like wild horse or rock auto, or if i should try and get a DOM drag link and tierod made. What do you guys think? If i go the DOM route, does anyone have any recommendations on what ends to use? Im guessing i would have to go to a Y style, like on the older GM stuff. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Forgot to mention that i do plan to do the 4x4x2 steering box conversion. The stock power steering box does have a little play in it, but i am willing to live with it for a month or two until i can get some more funds saved up. My main concern is getting it rebuilt enough so that it can be aligned.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Welcome.....

While i looked at the steering parts, I had a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth. The whole tierod is rotating. Is the rotation of the tierod indicative of just worn out parts, or that it cannot handle the stress of 33s?

The rotation of the tierod means it's junk and needs to be replaced. Mine were doing the same thing.........I've been running 32's with stock tie rods for 16 years. I've repalced them once.....

I am try to decide if i should just order replacement parts from a company like wild horse or rock auto, or if i should try and get a DOM drag link and tierod made. What do you guys think? If i go the DOM route, does anyone have any recommendations on what ends to use? Im guessing i would have to go to a Y style, like on the older GM stuff. Thanks for the help!

The DOM stuff is good but I'm not running it so can't help there...

Tim

OP
OP

4x4livn

Welcome.....

The rotation of the tierod means it's junk and needs to be replaced. Mine were doing the same thing.........I've been running 32's with stock tie rods for 16 years. I've repalced them once.....

The DOM stuff is good but I'm not running it so can't help there...

Tim

Thanks a bunch, wasnt sure if it was worth spending money on stock parts. DOM is great when you get into the rocks, at least it was on my jeep. Just dont know enough about the bronco to determine what the stock steering can handle as far as tire size.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard, Good to have ya.

If you plan on wheeling much, I'd just go ahead and upgrade to Stone Crusher Steering.. do a search on here. Great stuff Great Owner...

OP
OP

4x4livn

Welcome aboard, Good to have ya.

If you plan on wheeling much, I'd just go ahead and upgrade to Stone Crusher Steering.. do a search on here. Great stuff Great Owner...

Thanks for the heads up, looked their stuff up and it looks like exactly what I am looking for. Prices are definitely reasonable. ~$300 for the parts is roughly what stock replacement stuff costs.

OP
OP

4x4livn

Ended up ordering a steering kit from Sexton Offroad. I liked the fact that it was DOM, but it will allow me to run the tierod under and then i can just swap it over when i get more into the wheeling side.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Did you tell Sexton you were planning to go 4x4x2? The tie road will need to be lengthened about an inch over stock. Make sure your new t rod has that extra play, no sense in buying another one.

Rymadd

Why do some aftermarkets use ball joints still, I would think heims are way stronger. Is it just cost, or is there a downside?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My guess is because you can get them cheap and at any parts store if you need them.

The GM 1 ton is a very populer conversion.....

Tim

OP
OP

4x4livn

Did you tell Sexton you were planning to go 4x4x2? The tie road will need to be lengthened about an inch over stock. Make sure your new t rod has that extra play, no sense in buying another one.

Yes i did, thanks for keeping it in mind ;D

OP
OP

4x4livn

Seeing how you already purchased, probly not a big deal, but I highly recommend ruffstuff. I got my kit thru them, if you can do a little bit of fab work yourself its well worth it, cuz they just send two lengths of DOM and all the ends. their Y-link using one ton ends is $255.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/YLINK.html

I have used ruff stuff in the past. They are actually located not far from my parents. I just talk to some friends that have used Sexton so i decided to go with them.

OP
OP

4x4livn

Why do some aftermarkets use ball joints still, I would think heims are way stronger. Is it just cost, or is there a downside?

For me its lack of parts. I like to wheel anywhere and everywhere. So i need to know i can get parts anywhere. Also ive never broken a 1 ton tre, and that was on a jeep that was locked f/r and running 38s. So i doubt a bronco with 33s or 35s can.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
After installing the Duff's Heim steering I will not run anything else, Nice and tight, very responsive and the adjustments are easy!

OP
OP

4x4livn

On the way home with it
photo_zpscfd33fa9.jpg

Drove it in the snow this week. Worked really well actually.
Bronco3_zps9c84000d.jpg

My partner in crime
Bronco2_zpsc2542d35.jpg

Picture i took when i went to look at it
photo_zpsd5ef86bb.jpg

All in all its a very clean Bronco. It does have some rust, but its all surface rust. Nothing has rusted through. I didnt want the prettiest bronco on the market, mainly because i intend to wheel this thing. So i am very happy with it. Right now the to do list includes

1.) replacing valve guide seals
2.) rekeying the entire vehicle
3.) get the new steering on and get it aligned
4.) replace the rear leaf springs (just ordered some 3.5s), the bronco currently has a 2.5'' kit on it and its lifted with a rear block! MAJOR AXLE WRAP!!!
5.) Install sexton offroad front springs
6.) install sexton offroad drop trackbar bracket
7.) install drop pitman arm to maintain correct geometry
8.) change the c bushings to the correct degree.

Once all these things are done i intend to just drive it! Will probably change to front discs at some point and maybe an arb locker. Im a little torn because i want it to have selectable lockers. At the same time i dont want to sink $5000 into the axles. So i dont know if i want to just buy stronger factory axle parts or go with a high spline count.

Not sure if this build will be hardcore enough for a build thread. If you guys would like to see one i can definitely put one together. It wont be the quickest build in the world. Im currently working 55-60 hrs a week and studying for the CPA exam.

Last edited: