• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Steering wheel & new horn installation help needed

Kremer5

HI all,

I got a new steering wheel to swap out the old grant wheel on my 74 with hazard switch on the column. it has only one copper post.

It never came with a horn when i bought it, and the wiring under the hood has been taped together with electrical tape which I've peeled back. The horn relay has three wires coming out of it:
  • blue with yellow leader - goes back into cab
  • Yellow with green leader - goes back into cab
  • yellow - connect to battery at starter solendoid

I was expecting one of the wires to have a plug on the end of it that goes into the horn. Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K

Kremer5

Thanks mark,

Why is the yellow/green routed back into the cab in this bronco?

I see the same color wire going to the fuse box. I've added a link to the picture of what I see heading into the cab. Both Blue/yellow and yellow/green wires are in the bunch.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B18GWBC59DHi4C

Last edited by a moderator:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It goes into the cab because the horn is over on the driver's side even though the relay is on the passenger side.
Once it goes in one side, it should go back out the other and over to the front core support brace.
Single wire to the horn, and the horn grounds through it's base bolted to the body.

Paul

OP
OP
K

Kremer5

Thanks, Donk.
Horn installs, and beeps. Im glad it was an easy fix.
Ordering more parts now from Wild Horses to finish the steering wheel install.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad to hear it (pun kind of intended)!%)
Both the horn, and your order!

Appreciated very much.

Paul

OP
OP
K

Kremer5

Hi Donk

Another easy one for ya. When putting my steering wheel with adaptor on, the horn post makes contact with the adaptor causing it to honk. I’m following your video (which is great by the way)

What am I doing wrong to cause the horn to not function correctly?

OP
OP
K

Kremer5

Turns out I didn't get the memo that you don't need to order a turn signal cancel cam with the Wild Horses steering wheels. That was causing it to ground out the horn.

Can anyone tell me what nut threads onto the shaft to hold the steering wheel on?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haha, oops! A good ending then, other than having the extra parts.
Are you close enough to join us for our April "Bronco Roundup" by any chance? Could bring the extra bit back for a refund then without having to hassle with shipping it back.
Would be fun too!

Paul