• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New to Broncos and 4X4s

JPG0511

Loc.
ocean springs
Hello I have been looking on this site for a few weeks now and it is full of great info so I am now a member and looking forward to learning a lot about my Bronco. This is my first 4X4 and I love the truck. It is a 71 with a 302 and three on the tree. It has a good bit of rust and needs some work but it runs. And after a few trips in the mud I think it will go through anything! Plus I only paid $1200 for it. I had some 33x15 1/2 mud tires and burnt up the clutch after 5 or 6 runs so I have to get it replaced and I am also going to replace the front axle seals and check/replace the bearings. Any suggestions or tips?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
First, welcome to the world of Broncos!

What are your plans for it? Keep it a mudder? Trail rig? Weekend driver? Daily driver?

If it has a lot of rust and has been used a lot in the mud you'll need to check out the frame to see if it's got any rot. $1200 is a pretty good price for one that runs!

We need more info . . . Photos?

Good luck!:)

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Well a burnt clutch aint too bad, it really not hard to do your self actually, just takes a little time, and a halfway decent jack, but a good first fix, you will be happy with yourself when you get it done, doesnt require much for tools either if i remember, pretty much just a set of standard wrenches or sockets, a long breaker bar, and plenty of PB blaster....have fun and welcome to the site

grant

OP
OP
J

JPG0511

Loc.
ocean springs
Well i plan on using it just for a trail/mud truck so the rust is fine with me. I do have a couple of spots on the frame that I am going to brace because of rust. I have changed plenty of cluches so I am not to worried about that I just have to get home from work do get it done. I will try to get some pics of it but i may have to wait until I get home. I work offshore on an oil rig so the internet so is not so good here.

OP
OP
J

JPG0511

Loc.
ocean springs
Let see if this pic will work
Bronco1971.jpg
[/IMG]

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
Nice ride for the price!!!!! Just remember that this is an addiction...you may be able to still get out if you really focus!!!;D ;D ;D

69 Bronco

Loc.
Aurora
Welcome to the Bronco junkie site. Salgood is right it is an addiction that I just can't seem to kick, not sure that I want to though.

Nice ride. Looks better than mine.

mountain14er

Loc.
Denver
Good deal man. I'd only advise that you do a little research before any repairs. It's frustrating to put a bunch of time and money into something only to realize that you want to upgrade it later. For example, maybe you want to put an NP435 in while your doing your clutch. Or if you have a dana 30, you might want to put any money towards a dana 44 instead of a rebuild. Whatever the case, enjoy it!

OP
OP
J

JPG0511

Loc.
ocean springs
Thanks for the advice. It already has a dana 44 in the front and it works good but the seals are leaking some oil out so while it is down for the clutch i am going to replace the seals and check/replace the bearings before it fills with water and mud or runs out of oil. The trans works fine so i am going to stick with it for a while plus the guy I got the truck from gave me a rebuilt spaire trans with it.

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
JPG0511 said:
Here it is with the hard top off after a ride

That mud changed the color of your rims and your tire size by the looks of the before and after pics%) Get all the basics (including the brakes) in working order and then plan your attack.

OP
OP
J

JPG0511

Loc.
ocean springs
Yeh I change the tires. My freind had them at his shop so we put them on before we went on a ride down an trail that was deep in mud and water. I still had water come over the hood a few times.

Pickup Man

Loc.
Big Stone Gap, VA
JPG0511, you have definitely come to the right place. I have been a member here since last year, and I haven't posted much, but I have lurked around and read a lot of posts, and everyone here seems to really get along and there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here on this site. Thanks, everybody, for sharing the love of the early Broncos!!!