• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New to Classic Broncos

dpspeed

Loc.
Winston-Salem, NC
Dad had a '66 when I was young and I LOVE these and want to have one again one day (soon I hope).

I'm not really into 4 wheeling or mud or anything hardcore...

I think I want something with a mild lift, maybe 2.5" - 3.5" and some larger tires. I want something simple that will look good and be fun to drive with the top off in the summer.

Is it better to "buy a nicer one" that someone has restored in the $5k - 7500 range or better to buy a cheap one and upgrade?

Due to my nature, I will probably tinker with it over time.

Also, I enjoy tracking my Mustang Cobra. Would it be possible to tow this thing to events? I'm guessing 5000-5500 lbs. I know they are short wheelbase and aren't ideal, but I would take it easy.

How hard is it to find one these days?

Thanks! Looking forward to hanging out here, seems like a good board.

Dave

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
As many here might also state, buy the best Bronco you can afford to start with. they all tend to suck up your money. Welcome

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Welcome Dave. Buy what you can afford but spend a little time looking around here to get a better idea what you want. Set a budget and then start looking. As for the towing I am not sure what you mean, but I would not plan a lot of towing with one of these if you are looking to put a car trailer behind it, it would be the tail wagging the dog. You could tow a nice M416 probably with ease, but I would keep the load smaller.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Welcome to CB! I hope you find the right one for you!

Really, it would about be better to find one already in decent condition. But, if you buy a rough one and restore it, you would have pride in it, and the learning experience.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Right now, in this market, you can do a lot better by purchasing something someone has already built..... AAAAS long as the person did it right. AND as long as you aren't a mechanic/bodyman.

>I keep seeing visions of that Bronco in the For Sale Section that had pipes welded over the steering peices to ... lengthen them<

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Welcome Dave. Don't plan on towing heavy loads. Buy something that is in decent shape and LOOK FOR RUST as a deterrent. You'll always have something to work on with these old rigs, but they're relatively easy to work on; parts are not a problem and your advice experts (not me) are right here! You found the right board to bounce questions off of. Good luck and Happy hunting.

OP
OP
D

dpspeed

Loc.
Winston-Salem, NC
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think I would be able to tow much with one of these mainly because of the wheelbase, just thought it would be a really cool tow vehicle. Maybe if I build a Spec Miata (2200lbs) + ultra light 16' trailer (1500lbs). I'm not anywhere near crossing that bridge yet.

I've been reading here and there for a few weeks and I must say I really like the helpful AND knowledgeable demeanor of this board. I used to hang out a lot on Miata.net and I would almost guess this is some of the same guys!

I am by no means in a position to buy a EB right now, but I am a dreamer and want to research, budget and look for that perfect vehicle. As you guys know, it's about the journey with motorheads!

I look forward to reading and learning from you guys.

I also understand there is a guy in and around Winston Salem, NC that has a sort of "Bronco parts graveyard" could anyone point me to this place?

Thanks!

Dave

dreg

Loc.
Winston-Salem
Local

Dave,

I live in the W-S area and have a 66 that's been restored. I would like to meet up with some locals who shares my interest in EBs.

I believe the guy you are referring to with the Bronco graveyard actually lives in Reidsville.

As for fixing one up I can tell you what not to do because I've been there and done that. I believe I may have actually done everything wrong and it has cost me an arm and both legs. I should have consulted this message board about six months ago, probably would have saved me $30k.

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dreg,
Just a FYI. Not sure if you realize, Dave's (dpspeed) last post above was Jan. 2010 (over 2 yrs ago) and hasn't posted on this board since.

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Dave,

I live in the W-S area and have a 66 that's been restored. I would like to meet up with some locals who shares my interest in EBs.

I believe the guy you are referring to with the Bronco graveyard actually lives in Reidsville.

As for fixing one up I can tell you what not to do because I've been there and done that. I believe I may have actually done everything wrong and it has cost me an arm and both legs. I should have consulted this message board about six months ago, probably would have saved me $30k.

Not to make you relive the pain, but I'd love to hear what went wrong. I'm new to the classic broncos and I've been spending lots of time on these forums trying to learn so I don't make a huge mistake. Would love to hear your story. Thanks.

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
Dreg,
Just a FYI. Not sure if you realize, Dave's (dpspeed) last post above was Jan. 2010 (over 2 yrs ago) and hasn't posted on this board since.

Good eye:eek:. My dumb ass actually read this post as if he started it yesterday. We should all have junk mail sent to his house for waisting our time:mad:!!