• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New to EBs

mrshoeit

Loc.
Maryville,Tn
Hello,

I bought my first 1975 EB about 4 month ago. I am having alot of fun working on it. But I need some help with a problem. Im having some kind of fuel delivery problem.
When the engine is cold it runs good, but when its up to temp (180) it will die. I had the carb rebuilt by a local shop but that didnt fix it. It seems like a bad needle and seat. No fuel in the float bowl when its up to temp. We tried 2 new needles and seat but no good. So now we think it is vapor locking somewhere. The lines dont seem to be getting hot around the engine. Oh yeah, I also replaced the fuel filter and pump too. Do you guys have any ideas??
This problem and new disc brakes and its trail time. lol

thank
scott

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Is the choke opening up? If not then it will run good when it first starts and then die when it warms up.

Also be sure the fuel lines are not plugged up.

OP
OP
M

mrshoeit

Loc.
Maryville,Tn
Thanks Saddleup,

The choke was removed for more air flow. The carb is a holley 750 alittle big.
I forgot to say when it warms up I see bubbles in the fuel filter. Sometimes it will idle but if I just hit the gas it will die.

thanks
scott

Mikeg23

Loc.
Greenwood, IN
Make sure that all your rubber hoses are good and your pump works. Some times a rubber hose can look good on the outside and have a flap working like a check valve on the inside. Although neither one of those things would be affected by engine temp.

Usually fuel pumps just completely quit working when they die, but I had one on my '75 not too long ago that would act up sometimes and work great other times.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Be sure to check the fuel line ALL the way to the tank, not just in the engine compartment , if the exaust is routed to close it can cause the problem you are having.

Brewbro21

What a Ford vapor locking?...never heard of that! ;D That's what it sounds like, I'd check the lines all the way back for clearance than on to the pump.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I got a bad one right out of the box once too. Brought it back to Napa and they looked at me like I had monkeys flying out of my butt. "These are new. They all work." This one sure didn't. Did get my money back. Sorry had to share.

A small low pressure pusher solved my VL problems. All good other suggestions too. Check your lines. Move them away from hot parts.
Phenolic spacer can help the heat off an aluminum intake too.

ken75ranger said:
I did get a bad fuel pump out of the box. %)

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
mrshoeit said:
Hello,

I bought my first 1975 EB about 4 month ago. I am having alot of fun working on it. But I need some help with a problem. Im having some kind of fuel delivery problem.
When the engine is cold it runs good, but when its up to temp (180) it will die. I had the carb rebuilt by a local shop but that didnt fix it. It seems like a bad needle and seat. No fuel in the float bowl when its up to temp. We tried 2 new needles and seat but no good. So now we think it is vapor locking somewhere. The lines dont seem to be getting hot around the engine. Oh yeah, I also replaced the fuel filter and pump too. Do you guys have any ideas??
This problem and new disc brakes and its trail time. lol

thank
scott

Check the fuel line routing. It does sound like vapor lock. Sometimes there are fuel filters underneath too that might be full of crud. Old rubber lines can develop cracks that allow it to suck air. Does yours have a tank selector valve? If so, they can develop air leaks too.
Tom

OP
OP
M

mrshoeit

Loc.
Maryville,Tn
Thank you for helping out with this. I am going to work on it this weekend and maybe change all the fuel lines. I'll let you all know what happens.

thanks
scott

HEMPS66BRONCO

Loc.
Gerrardstown,WV
Maybe your engine is worn out. I would do a compretion check to see. I had the same problem and I had 50 pound fluctuation. new engine fixed my problem. good luck