• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New valve cover question

Tulsa76bronco

Guys I just got my new world head covers but I was a little concerned that one cover does not have a place for a cap even though I was sold two caps/breather.

Is this how it should be or should they both have holes in them. I thought I needed one to have a hose into it

Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A lot of aftermarket valve covers are like that. they are usually destined for race engines. So dont always have a PCV system. Just have to make another hole. Also its best to have baffles instead of a straight shot to the hole it will help reduce oil leaks/cunsumption.

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

I'm not sure what u mean by baffles.

Will my mechanic just drill a hole? Where should the hole be?

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
It's best after a 'just' drilling a hole...your going to want to add a piece of steel/aluminum to the underside of the cover which covers your hole . Sort of..

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Send them back and buy proper EFI valve covers. There are 100s to choose from, you just ordered the wrong ones. EFI covers will have one hole on each cover with the appropriate baffles already installed.

Attachments

• covers.jpg
    covers.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
trying to cut a proper hole and install baffles will cause you to go crazy if you have no experience and don't have proper tools. x2 on returning those and ordering/exchanging for correct ones because correct ones are available in a million places and a million different designs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While partly true, many Ford EFI valve covers only have one hole in one cover. The other cover on most 302's is completely sealed because the actual PCV valve is in the back of the intake manifold and only one side has both a fill cap and return-air fitting for the crankcase ventilation.

It's not universal of course, but it's more common than having two vented covers.
Many of the truck 351w engines have two openings, since the PCV valve is in a cover instead of the lower manifold.

Either might be correct then. Just depends on how your engine is set up.
So Tulsa, what engine are you running and in what configuration? If carbureted, you'll need the two open covers.

Paul

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Paul I have a newly rebuilt 302 with Windsor jr heads all new valve job, not sure of cam, weiand head(not sure of model), engine is holly fuel injection.

My engine shop said they would put the hole in for the PCV valve if I wanted. So u are saying I don't need to drill a hole because it goes into my intake? How do I check this?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You won't have the PCV port in the intake unless you have a Ford EFI manifold. Which it sounds like you don't.
So yes, you need to have both valve covers open. Like the others, I would not modify your own. I would get your supplier to replace yours with the ones you expected so you don't have to figure out a baffle design on your own.

And like was said, you DO need a baffle to keep oil splash, vapor and direct exposure to an absolute minimum. Or you'll have a very messy cover very quickly.

Paul

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Paul if the baffle u are talking about is the little metal plate that came with cover to stop splashing of the oil then mine is already fitted for one and has the holes and screws already there. All I would need is a rubber bushing to seal where the hose/metal end goes.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can only upload images directly to the site after becoming a contributor.
If you're not ready to spend the 12 (or is it 16?) bucks just yet, you can use a free image hosting site such as SuperMotors and a few others to upload the images to their site. Then you simply link to that image in your post here.
There are detailed instructions at the top of either the forum here, or CHAT maybe. Something to the effect of "how to post pics" or "forum rules" or "become a contributor an upload photos" or the like.

Or e-mail some images to one of us and we'll post them up for you. That always works pretty good as well.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Paul if the baffle u are talking about is the little metal plate that came with cover to stop splashing of the oil then mine is already fitted for one and has the holes and screws already there. All I would need is a rubber bushing to seal where the hose/metal end goes.

That's correct. And if yours is like the images above posted by someone else, that would work fine.
I was under the impression though that one cover did not even have a hole. Is that right?
If no hole, is there still a place specifically set aside for one to be drilled and the bosses for the screws are there as well? If so, you're practically in business.
But if none of that exists, and the baffle you got is for the one side that already has the hole/filler, then you're still back to square one.

Both openings would need baffles. Even the tall "stack" end where you fill the oil needs a baffle if it's only got a breather cap on it. If it's a stack with a sealed screw-on cap though, then the baffle is not as important.
Might still help though.

So yeah, when you get a chance post up some pictures, e-mail them to me (or anyone in this thread with a "contributor" status posted below their screen name) and we'll post them up.
Or, if you simply have a link to the parts you bought on some website we can look at them, that would save a lot of trouble too.
Are they on the World Products website?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok, yeah I was just over at those pages a few minutes ago. Man, those are sure some sweet looking covers!
Too bad their site makes it look like they all have the holes though. And neither do they make it clear whether that extra height for tall rockers will fit under the upper plenum of an EFI intake manifold. Even though they make it sound like it'll fit anything.
But yeah, sounds like you're good to go as soon as you choose the side for the hole.

Personally, I would put it in the front. For clearance and easier access. Unless your setup dictates otherwise of course, or it would just look cleaner in the rear.

What kind of breather did it come with? The open gauze type? Completely exposed, or with a half-circle shield around it? Either way, without the baffle (and even with it many times!) that gauze will fill up with oil and eventually dribble over the cover.
At least those covers look like the finish will allow for just a quick wipe with a rag to get it clean again.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

I had to buy a breather cap from summit it did not come with one. Forgot the type but they sent me two as they also thought it had two holes. Going to wait to drill any holes until the engine is back in and we can place the covers on to make sure of clearance.
I think this is the cover they sold me
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-4277/overview/

When I do get the holes drilled can I just pick up the rubber seal at any parts store that holds the PVC in?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, most stores carry a selection of different styles of grommet. So you should be able to source something if the caps and covers did not come with them.

Paul