• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie Build - Advice Please

Little Thad

Loc.
Georgia
First of all, thanks for all the great threads. Very helpful reading so far.
Specific build base vehicle: 1966 Bronco, 6 cyl, 3 spd, very solid body (why I purchased it).
Expected Use: Around town cruiser, beach, shorter highway trips (200 miles to get to other beaches), no rock crawling.
What I want to build: 302, auto, disk brakes, no air
What I am thinking: Get a DANA 44 (4:11) and matching rear end from a 1977 bronco (as I understand it, these are the same dimensions). This will give me better gear ratios and disk brakes up front. I can pick this up for $500.
Get a Ford Explorer 1996-1997 EFI 5.0 and take all of the engine and wiring components for the conversion.
It seems like that AOD will be my best bet to keep the conversion cost down.
Is this the "right" combination of components to get me started?
Thanks in advance for your help. I want to do it right, but also cost effectively.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a good plan as well except for the "cost effectively" part.

Your plan can cost you a small fortune. If you have a full service shop and you can do it all helps greatly.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
From your description, you don't need a Dana 44 and your 6-cyl Bronco will already have 4.11 gearing front and rear as long as it's still stock. Personally, I wouldn't waste the time on the axle swap.

OP
OP
L

Little Thad

Loc.
Georgia
Changing to Dana 44

My thinking on this is that I want disks up front, which I will get with the newer axles. So for the price of a disk brake kit for the original axle, I get two updated axles with disks up front (rear will still be drum). Does this make sense?

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
If you can get the 77 axle set for $500, get it. The disc upgrade is worth that much and you get stronger axles front and rear too.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I second that. Front and rear disc set up from a 77 for $500 plus it 4:10 gears. You could pick it up and sell it for double if you wanted to!

But yes your plan sounds good but cost maybe more than you want. If your just cruising with it you could do a basic carb set up for less money and less headaches. And you could stick with a C4 auto and D20 transfer case. It is common to find complete set ups right out of broncos on this sight. Yes they may need an over haul but everything will bolt up and fit with out issue.