• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie here

Tuff_Ford

Loc.
Los Angeles
Hello to all,
I have been to this web site a couple of times and found it to be really helpful. I purchased my Bronco about a year and a half ago with the intention of getting fixed within a couple of weeks, weeks turned into months and so on. I’m finally going to get it running again and fix her up real nice but first I wanted to ask the experts some questions.

1. Do all Broncos come with a 9inch rear, if not how can you tell?

2. I’m doing a disc swap in the front, it has a 3 inch suspension lift with 33 tires, can I use a floor jack to lift it from the front axle without damaging it?

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Hello to all,
I have been to this web site a couple of times and found it to be really helpful. I purchased my Bronco about a year and a half ago with the intention of getting fixed within a couple of weeks, weeks turned into months and so on. I’m finally going to get it running again and fix her up real nice but first I wanted to ask the experts some questions.

1. Do all Broncos come with a 9inch rear, if not how can you tell?

2. I’m doing a disc swap in the front, it has a 3 inch suspension lift with 33 tires, can I use a floor jack to lift it from the front axle without damaging it?

Welcome

yes all 66-77 Broncos come with 9" rears, and yes you can jack up the front axle with a fllor jack. Just use jack stands once you lift it up.

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
Welcome Aboard, I'm a newbie also to the board and If we don't know something we lie if we think that nobody will catch us, all the people here are some of the best, Joe.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Since you are going to be leaving it jacked up for a long time, I would put the jack stands very close to (or even under) the radius arms, it helps keep the weight of the front end on the springs.

I have jacked up the entire front of the bronc (and even F350's with big blocks) using just the center diff. While I've never done damage doing that, the axle tubes are pressed in and lightly welded into the cast center diff section, probably not the best idea to leave all the weight on this one spot for long periods

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
Welcome aboard...
I think all of our rebuilds start off as a few weeks, and go to a few months, you just haven't had your Bronco long enough to go into the 'few years' catagory. But not to worry, you will soon enough.
Answer to 2, like some of the others have said, I will jack mine up from the axle to swap tires or something quick, but if it sits for any lenth of time use jack stands. $20 at WalMart for a decent set.
Good luck.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Welcome to the board. If your driveway is asphault put some wood under the jack stands or they will sink over time. i know this from some of my 2 week projects that have turned into months. Where are you in LA? I'm mear LAX if you need any info. I also might have some disc swap parts around.

OP
OP
T

Tuff_Ford

Loc.
Los Angeles
Welcome to the board. If your driveway is asphault put some wood under the jack stands or they will sink over time. i know this from some of my 2 week projects that have turned into months. Where are you in LA? I'm mear LAX if you need any info. I also might have some disc swap parts around.

Thanks for the input everybody...Im over by North Hills in the valley...I might need some info in the future, since I want to go EFI, Hydroboost, power steering basically all the goodies. Thanks again for info.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Welcome to the board and the obsession noobie.

yes on the 9"

Yes on the lifting the front with the jack. But use jackstands on the axle tube as far apart as you can safely place them once the vehicle has been raised to the desired height for service work or extended time period.