• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No Brake Pedal Travel

Bronco DLight

Loc.
Houston, TX - CB, CO
I realize brakes have been discussed, even recently. But I didn't find an issue exactly like mine. On my '74, I have front disc, rear drums. I recently replaced my original 302 with a '98 explorer motor. With both, i have probably less than an inch of pedal travel and it's very hard. It feels like manual brakes.

The discs, calipers, and drums have been checked out as fine. I don't know exactly what master/booster setup I have but it was fairly recently replaced by the PO when he installed the discs. I have included a pic.

Thanks. My wife won't drive it unless it stops better!

D

Attachments

• IMG_2173.jpg
    IMG_2173.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 63

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Assuming that all of the components are in good working order, a high hard pedal can be caused by an undersized booster (dual-7"?) and/or oversized master cylinder bore (1.125"?). It looks like you have both.

Additionally, as noted above, vacuum levels will have an impact on the amount of boost/gain that the booster does or does not provide, but most Explorer 5.0's are going to provide decent vacuum levels (16-20" Hg @ idle) unless you've put a rumpity camshaft in it.

plumbdoctor

Loc.
Golden
David, one thing I didn't check was the check valve at the booster. Your motor has good vacuum....since the brakes were the same as before the swap , maybe the check valve? And or as the above poster said...under sized booster, etc.

I am interested in what you find out as I was thinking of the same set up for my wife's Bronco

OP
OP
B

Bronco DLight

Loc.
Houston, TX - CB, CO
leaking booster

Mechanic who seems pretty familiar with the setup confirmed vacuum as you said but said that there is actually a leak in the rear seem of the booster itself. Bad case weld? Seems a bit odd. It's a summit racing booster with less than 5000 miles on it. Oh, well. We'll see. Should be replaced this afternoon and we'll see what happens. I'll let you know. BTW - how long should it take for that ecm to realize that we don;t need as much fuel at 9000 ft? it's running a bit rich, but didn't seem to be at lower altitudes. I figured that it would be instantaneous.

Thanks for your help, btw. Hope the extra can get your wife's project finished. I was planning to replace the alternator anyway - I'd already ordered one. Don't worry about that. I planned to ask you to put on new alternator and starter before installing the new engine but plum forgot.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
While you are at it measure the bore of the master cylinder. Even with a booster an oversized master will reduce travel and make for a stiff pedal. Stock is a 1" bore. Even with hydroboost I was doing my best stopping with a 15/16" master cylinder. Little less effort, little more travel. All flex lines were braided stainless as well.

OP
OP
B

Bronco DLight

Loc.
Houston, TX - CB, CO
Mystery Solved

Put in new booster and all is well. There was an internal vacuum leak in the booster. Strange, was a summit racing with less than two years and 5000 miles on it.

thx for the ideas, though.