• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No starter, No lights, no nothin, but solenoid clicks

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I was on my way home today; the truck was driving great as always. I was getting ready to turn left across traffic and it just died. I have two full tanks of gas. I tried to restart and nothing. No starter, no lights, only a click at the solenoid. My amp/radio have plenty of power. I was close to home, pushed then some guy pulled me with his fam van/my strap to the house. I stuck the battery opn the charger, but the charger says the battery is fully charged. I am not sure if its the voltage regulator, the solenoid or what. Yes, I checked all the glove box fuses and they are OK. I am planning the tear down for the frame off this winter, but there is too much good weather left here to put her away for good. I checked all the wires associated with the solenoid and the regulator and didnt see any that were too ugly. Anyone got any ideas...I bet its simple and I am just stupid, so educate me. The voltage regulator is the original, the solenoid is only a couple of years old...I already rapped it a few times wiht the back of a screwdriver too...and the module is about 4-5 yrs old...although when the module went out the starter still worked; this time, I have no starter, no lights...seems like a voltage regulator could be the culprit...right? I am not an electrically minded guy, yet...guess its time to learn that too. Thanks for your time, attention and ideas/advice. Anyone know how much a VR costs anyway?

B

bert

The VR only tells the alternator what to do. It controls the charging of the battery.
You have a bad connection or ground somewhere. I would suspect a bad positive battery cable first. The solenoid does not require a lot of current to operate like the headlamps and starter. Your stereo and amp still work but draw battery power (I assume) directly from the positive battery post. This would lead me to believe the ground system is OK.

Try cleaning the battery side of the starter solenoid and the battery cables right at the battery. You will have to disconnect them to really see any problems, they may look fine until you do.

Bronco71

Loc.
Farmers Branch, TX
Could be a fusible link; these are wires that are made to melt inside the insulation in case of a short circuit,etc and usually look fine on the outside. I believe there are a couple going to the solenoid and they have a tag molded onto them with an amp rating.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
What Bert said. Check the postive terminals. You can also try a set of jumper cables from the constant hot of the solenoid to the starter end to see if the starter is good. No lights, hmmm. Back to the postive terminals, well check both. May want to check ground to be sure.

The VR is only ten or fifteen bucks.

OP
OP
trailpsycho

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
It just seemed very strange to go out so suddenly. It has happened before but years ago, was intermittent and went away...until now. After I replaced the solenoid, a couple of years ago, it did it a couple of more times, but would magically work again after a short delay. One reason I bought a new harness...still in the box--waiting--like everything else, for a little more money and time. I will check out the positive terminal and the fusible links.

I did think about the fusible link at the time, but I tugged and visually inspected them and they seemed to be intact...I had somewhere to be, so I didnt have a ton of time. I will try and check it out further tomorrow. Thanks for the replies and keep the ideas coming.

Jamers

Loc.
Van,BC,Canada
Try cleaning the ground connection on the engine block. Mine didn't start a few months ago, and it turned out to be that. I just sanded and cleaned the connection at the block really well and it has been grreat ever since. I am not sure about the lights though...

U

Unregistered

one more vote for the cables or connection's of the cables definetly

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D My big bronco did that at work once I started it and it died went to re start and no go just a light click. The battery went dead short inside new battery and all was goor so ck. the battery good luck. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I had the same symptoms a few years ago and it was just the terminals attaching to the solenoid needed cleaning. They didn't look bad at all, just had a dull finish on 'em. About 30 seconds with a small wire brush cured everything.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Like above, check your ground connections.
at the battery to engine block, make sure your solenoid it bolted tight to your nner fender (that's the ground for that),
I always doubt the darn battery, even when I think it's ok. I have like 3 or 4 batteries in my garage.
I don't think it's your alternator - that doesn't effect starting. Could be module - I'd replace it anyway (I have 3 or 4 of those too ;) )
What befuddles that a little is that it died while driving. I'd suspect the starter if weren't for that fact. Dang, I'd check your coil too! My coil was grounded out because of my tach once, it died while mid drive and would turn over, but not start (I've got a couple coils too).
With a problem like this you'll learn electrical pretty fast :D

OP
OP
trailpsycho

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Guys- I really appreciated all your insights. I rechecked fuses, wires again, the ground cable was replaced a couple of months ago and was solid and clean, so moved on from there. Following the general concensus, I looked at the positive battery post (slight visible corrosion on post and inside of cable clamp once removed from terminal). Cleaned them both with fine grit sand paper; then figured I would check and she fired right up, like it just had some beauty sleep. She is a strange woman. Honestly, I wouldnt have looked to something so simple, if not for you guys...I really appreciate it. Never sweat the smallest stuff, I suppose. Maybe I can still make the truck show at the fairgrounds. Have a great weeked!

John