• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Non Bronco question

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had them all. Best balance for me was a GMC 2500HD Diesel Denali. Yes they get pricey but if you factor in resale over a long term investment it comes out even in the end. It pulls effortlessly and the big plus is the stopping. The brakes and tow capacity were made for this and it handles great. After going around the country in a half ton and then this, I would never even consider anything else. Is is also very comfortable for every day use.

elan

Loc.
s
This is the toughest question and there is no right answer. There are hard core folks in both camps. My friend had a GMC diesel for fifteen years and hauled many boats for his business. Never let him down. The 7.3 Ford guys feel strongly about their rides as well.

After a year of talking to folks about general use and towing I ended up with a Tundra 5.7 4x4 with a tow package as I didn't need a "big boy" for towing. Doesn't make me right, it simply was a conclusion to my inquires.

The thing is smooth as butter and pulls well. There, another opinion to muddy the waters.

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Well, I have used them all here on the farm and business. Currently have old 1T Dodge with Cummings diesel, 1T GMC Denali diesel, diesel F250 pickup 6.7 and 1T diesel Ford. I frequently tow bumper and gooseneck trailers 300 miles to other property. I’m a Ford guy and had several F150s over years, which I found had weak transmissions if heavily use. But as we know, trans strength varies with model. My advise is to buy bigger than think u need. At some point u will need extra power, and makes easier long distance towing. And often retains better value. My choice of diesel mainly based on fuel of choice on farm, but can be alittle more difficult to find during a trip. No right or wrong, just best for your intended use.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I need to learn about "tongue weight" and all that ......

I started pricing trucks.....whoossh...

Those f150's get expensive real fast!

My advice would be to figure out what you want and then figure out how to pay for it :cool:

As for tongue weight, you'll want a truck that can handle ~10-12% of the gross trailer weight (loaded) on the tongue. Most trucks will be rated for a tongue weight with a standard hitch and then a higher weight for a weight distribution hitch, so there's some variability there, but my 2014 F250 handles 1200# on the tongue pretty easily, whereas a 1/2-ton will be significantly less than that in stock form. If you never intend to pull more than 7000#-8000#, then figure at least 700#-800# tongue weight minimum and plan accordingly.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
What I'd buy, or something like it: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ctd/d/scottsdale-2001-ford-f650-flatbed-68k/7094284739.html

00P0P_kYY5zlZAawu_1200x900.jpg

Beaver-tail that bed, add some ramps, tie-downs, and a dedicated winch to haul vehicles w/o a trailer.

Or: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/d/lake-havasu-city-2001-freightliner/7098222274.html
00m0m_aOF0A8InJMc_1200x900.jpg

An MDT will handle any load you're likely to ever have and not know it's there.

Last edited: