• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Noooooooooooo

OP
OP
tasker

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I THOUGHT you were for me! that's orange there fella, not yellow!

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
i say build a retro with a nice small four or six cylinder turbo diesel with the option of a gas engine. offer a nice geared manual tranny and a good automatic also. make it live axle like the jeep but offer locking diffs as a option like the fj cruiser. and most important make a removable hardtop.

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
I have a slight problem with these new retro cars being built. My problem stems with the fact that, in my experience, most of the individuals buying the new retro vehicles available have NO idea/background on the historical signifance of what they have and I can't get over this. It bothers me to no end for some reason.

I have a 68 Camarao (chevy, I know...) and I'll pull up next to the 'new' camaro's and the majority of the people driving them have no idea what they are next to or would even be able to recognize that I am driving a Camaro. Hell, most probably think it's a mustang (which for you bronco folks, that's as bad as people calling your bronco a jeep).

Now with that said, if they do build a retro Bronco, as previously noted, something like an FJ cruiser I believe would be the way to go, 2.5 doors, similar dimension, I believe they are capable off road ?, but with a removable top.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I think the golden age of 4x4's is long gone. There is no way that Ford would build a vehicle to satisfy a relative minority. It would be nice if they did, but I don't see it happening. Even the 2004 concept was based on some front wheel drive mini van POS from South America! No thanks!

I'll just keep tinkering on mine.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I have a slight problem with these new retro cars being built. My problem stems with the fact that, in my experience, most of the individuals buying the new retro vehicles available have NO idea/background on the historical signifance of what they have and I can't get over this. It bothers me to no end for some reason.

I have a 68 Camarao (chevy, I know...) and I'll pull up next to the 'new' camaro's and the majority of the people driving them have no idea what they are next to or would even be able to recognize that I am driving a Camaro. Hell, most probably think it's a mustang (which for you bronco folks, that's as bad as people calling your bronco a jeep).

Now with that said, if they do build a retro Bronco, as previously noted, something like an FJ cruiser I believe would be the way to go, 2.5 doors, similar dimension, I believe they are capable off road ?, but with a removable top.

My wife drives an FJ and I sold an FJ-40 to buy my 70 Bronco. If they built one with a removable top I would be more inclined to appreciate it but would want solid axles and a true truck set up.

As for the retro cars, I think the Dodge did a better job of going retro than Chevy did and I would take the 68 over a 2010 any day. ;)

mattoo

Loc.
NLR
I think the golden age of 4x4's is long gone. There is no way that Ford would build a vehicle to satisfy a relative minority. It would be nice if they did, but I don't see it happening. Even the 2004 concept was based on some front wheel drive mini van POS from South America! No thanks!

Dont be so sure rustbucket;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3DPkGSOK7M

I just saw a test drive on "Top Gear" the other night, WOW!

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I just saw a test drive on "Top Gear" the other night, WOW![/QUOTE]

Tasker you need one of these in ingot silver!;D

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 68 Camaro (chevy, I know...) .

I feel for ya pal. I was a diehard GM man BEFORE I was introduced to Early Broncos. I still have a bad itch to build a 68/69 Camaro and build a 383 stroker .... bucket list items I guess.
Probably build a 408 first ... ;D

75 Ranger

I like this quote...

Put an Early Bronco 66-77 and the Raptor in bed together, light some candles,and after the Bronco has it's way with the Raptor you'll have the perfect love child concept. The 2012 SVT Bronco!

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY

Hey now, I own one of those:

IMG_3155.JPG

NOT a "Mini-Van" and NOT a POS. It's of Mazda origin which is Japanese, which isn't any better than South America but just to be accurate. The 2004 Concept Bronco if it entered production was to be built on the Escape platform.

In my humble opinion the Escape was the last vehicle Ford made in the SUV/ crossover area that retained some masculinity despite it's shortcomings in the off road dept. It's great at what it's made for, but I will agree, it's not made for off road. It does do awesome on snow covered roads, and as a "soft-roader."

I too wish Ford would get some sense and come up with a competitor to the Jeep, and the Toyota FJ. They are letting that entire market slip by, and I don't think it's a small market, as there are tons of people that will buy these and never use them as designed, they just want to look cool in a 4x4. Consider the HUMMER, how many of those are used off road...%)

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Personally, I don't know what Ford is waiting for with the retro Bronco Concept. Look at the success of the new FJ and the continued success of the Wrangler. Probably less than 10% of these see actual use off road but you still see alot of them on the road. Especially the 4 door wranglers!

A Bronco from Ford would be STIFF competition for both of these platforms and probably outsell them if Ford does it right. I know that I would buy one because eventually the aftermarket is gonna FIX any shortcomings that Ford wanted to avoid.

It is a HOME RUN waiting to be hit! Unfortunately, FORD doesn't wanna swing the bat! %)

I don't care why people would wanna drive a Retro Bronco but the fact is that they would want to and if that is what it takes to get Ford to build it than whatever! If they can do a retro style Mustang like they have then they sure as HELL can do a BRONCO! Hopefully they have the Balls to do it and just take a chance! ;D