• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Noticibility of a turbinator?

jaydub01

Loc.
Daytona Beach, FL
ive seen those turbinator deals all over the place, and i was wondering how much of a difference it would make on a mild 302, with edelbrock low rise intake and 4bbl. They claim what? 30hp, but how much of that would we really see in the broncos?

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Youre joking right? A restriction in the intake tract will do absolutely nothing for horsepower, let alone +30. If anything it will hurt it. Ive seen tests done on bikes that hurt power

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i have one on mine. you definitely will not get 30 hp, but i did get a little low end torque. sounds cool too. whistles like a turbo.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yeah it will get you better mileage to you'll spend about $60 less on gas the year you buy it because you wont have that $60 anymore

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have actually done back to back tests with and without a similer model. The difference I noted on a completely stock late model vehicle was 2HP gain, by REMOVING it. On a late model fuel injected vehicle I could see an increase in fuel economy, only because airflow is choked down

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Are we talking about the little fan wheel that spins and sets under the carburetor? If it runs better with it in place Id say your carb is too big. You can actually hear it spinning?

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
A couple of years ago 20/20 did a show on these where they investigated several different gimmicks that are supposed to increase HP and/or gas mileage. They installed each one on a vehicle and dyno'd it with and without, and drove it for a while. Their conclusion was that every single one of them did not do what it claimed and that you are wasting your $ on any of them.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
If these are the ones on TV, they don't spin. They're supposed to cause the air to swirl through the carb in a turbulent manor, which any engineer or pit crew will tell you is the opposite of what is needed.