• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP 205 hard to shift

onebadd73

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca.
I recently rebuilt my NP 205 as part of my 4R70W swap. I put new bearings, seals and installed a set of JB Fab stainless steel shift rails. Yesterday I installed the twin sticks and its really hard to shift. I'm having trouble putting it in 2 high. I ended up removing the twin sticks and reinstalled the OEM shift linkage that connects the two shift rails just to see if that worked better. Wedging a crow bar between the case and the OEM shift linkage I can put into the different gears. Is it supposed to be this hard since the case is still dry and its not bolted up with the Bronco on? I've read that NP 205's are hard to shift.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20170502_174839.jpg
    20170502_174839.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20170508_172609.jpg
    20170508_172609.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 33

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
In my experience the detentes on 205's are really aggressive, especially when sitting idle and dry. They always shift better in motion as things that are moving line up better and don't get hung up. They are still stiff but not as much.

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
I have the exact same set up with my 205, twin sticks and all. It is definately and pain to get it in 2 high. So much so, that I've debated dropping the coin for an atlas.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
If your using twin sticks I've always relieved the step in the rail with a grinder and removed the interlock pin so I can do 2 low front or rear. It makes it shift much easier.

Nothing Special

I had a similar issue with the Model 20 transfer case in a '75 CJ5. Like Yeller said, I took a grinder to the ramps in the rails to make them less steep and let the pins ride up out of them easier. I did not remove the interlock pin though, because I hadn't gone to twin sticks.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Also remember you are trying to shift it while it is squirming around on the table at waist height. I used to rebuild 4 speeds and they would seem like a pain to shift on the bench and shift like butter in the car. My NP205 is ancient un-rebuilt unit with a stick like shifter. I put a longer handle on it and it shift prett good. The old Dana 20 was a mystery to me when it was in gear or not at least the NP205 is in IN or OUT.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
If the case is on the bench, it can be challenging to shift it. did you lube the rails and pills when you assembled it (important to have some sort of lube with the stainless rails) Install it fill it with oil, if you have questions feel free to call us?
Are you using the adjustable detents?

Jon

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I've been doing some of this so long that sometimes I'm guilty of not keeping up with new tech and parts. The adjustable detents look awesome and could save tearing a unit all the way down to "tune" the shift rails that may or may not work as desired when done.