• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP 435 / Dana 21 Combo

EB70

Contributor
Hello,

I am still gathering pieces for a potential EB. My pal says that he has a 76 F-150 truck 4-speed. After asking him some questions I figured out what it is that he has.

What can I use off of the combo listed above? Is the transmission the correct bolt pattern on the back to swap into an EB?

My guess is that the trans itself is all that will work.

I'm trading some parts for it so it isn't a huge money deal.

But I don't need something that I have to swap everything out of either.

Thank you, ROB

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's only a single-speed T-case...very 'unpopular'

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
Thank you. I know it is a single speed though. I am more interested in the tranny. We are basically trading low-value stuff that is closer to what each other needs.

That being said, if all I am getting is the transmission case it may not be worth it.

ROB

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wish my memory worked better..I looked in to exactly this situation about 10 years ago when a '76 4x4 with same combo fell in to my lap. IIRC..neither an EB D-20 nor an NP-205 would simply bolt up where the D-21 is/was.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
What are you doing w/ the bronco? The D21 may only be single speed, but if I remember correctly, it is a constant mesh, shift on the fly unit. That could be kinda nice if you don't need the low range.....

Rockin69er

The trans is what your looking for. However you will need a different (2wd) main shaft. Or a main shaft from a F-250 with a divorced t-case. As long as either one is 28 spline. So plan on a rebuild at the same time since it will be apart for the shaft change. Consider all this into the deal. Sometimes its cheaper to find the right one to start with.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Actually the 435 hooked to a D21 has a 28 spline output shaft and is the correct lenght for a D20 swap. I used one for mine back in 86. So really you'll only need a adapter for the D20 to make it work.
I rarely use low range anymore except when in really rough stuff so you couls probably get by with the D21 for a awhile but it is nice to have the low range.
Not sure on any lenght differances although crossmember would probably have to be modifed to use the D21.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is correct. The NP 435 that came with the Dana 21 transfer case is a 28spline 2 wheel drive version. Make sure you separate the transfer case from the intermediate housing before removing it from the transmission. There is a gear insided that is bolted to the output shaft. If you try to separate the transfer case and intermediate housing together you will pull the output shaft out of the transmission.

Rockin69er

Actually the 435 hooked to a D21 has a 28 spline output shaft and is the correct lenght for a D20 swap.

Wow!! :eek: I shutter when I think of how many of those bad boys I GAVE away.:cry: :cry: Time for a tranny hunt. Maybe all the guys I gave them to will give them back.%)

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
OK. So it will work for a "normal" bronco install by using the stock transmission.

I remember from doing research way back when that the t.case was junk. I was looking at a J..p install at the time.

I'm basically trading him glass and interior parts out of my 78 parts truck. I can't use these and he can't use the tranny so we both win.

Worst case, I would have a parts transmission for my 435/205 combo.

Thank you, and it looks like we all learned something today.

ROB

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Dana 21 without a doubt is JUNK.

Keep in mind that if you were to use this NP 435 for a 205 set up you would have to change the output shaft to a 31 spline.