• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP203/205 doubler cross member question

reynard101

Bronco Guru
I have a 203/205 doubler (Jed's machining stuff) behind an NP435, all Ford NP stuff. I've installed it between the frame rails with a single cross member that goes under the 203 to 205 adapter (see crappy cell phone pic below - I'll try to update later). There is no mount at the adapter between the NP435 and 203 range box. Should I add another crossmember? Or will it be ok?

Attachments

• crossmember.jpg
    crossmember.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 90

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
whats your specs, as I'm debating the doubler or a black box type product?

I would think that's Alot of weight for just 1 crossmember. Could you also use the np205 side frame mount to help? or would that be a waste? stock 205 setup uses the crossmember between trans and tc, and also the side frame mount. just thinking outloud here.

OP
OP
reynard101

reynard101

Bronco Guru
whats your specs, as I'm debating the doubler or a black box type product?

I would think that's Alot of weight for just 1 crossmember. Could you also use the np205 side frame mount to help? or would that be a waste? stock 205 setup uses the crossmember between trans and tc, and also the side frame mount. just thinking outloud here.

Oh yeah, I do plan on using the 205 side mount. It will be similar to what crawlin68 came up with. Haven't finished it up yet. You are correct that this combo is heavy!

As mentioned before, all Ford NP products. 31 spline throughout. NP435 short shaft from Jed's, doubler from Jed's, NP203 shaft respline from Jed's, and triple shifters from Jed's too (see jedsmachining.com) NP435 low x NP203 low X NP205 low x 5.13 rear end gears = 6.69 x 2.0 x 1.96 x 5.13 = 134 crawl ratio. Jon at Jed's was very helpful and quick about getting me my kit. The main reason I went with the doubler is because I had the 435, 203 and 205 laying around. It should be just about bulletproof. And with the short shaft NP435 it's about the same length as stock drivetrain (an inch or 2 longer I believe). I have a 5.5 inch lift - which will make the rear drive shaft steep, but I've got a few ideas about tackling that - unfortunately they aren't cheap.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Have you looked at my build? I built mine the same way but with an Auto tranny, because I had it all too. Mine has the 351w/C6/203/205 with a D60/14 bolt axles. I used 2 crossmembers on mine, the front transmission crossmember I took up and over my drive shaft to protect the transmission like a safety loop. It has already protected it once!

I have pictures of them in my build thread from start to finish along with from 1/2 tons to the tons I have now. The link is in my sig. line.

Any questions PM me, I'll try to get you any other pics or angles that you need.

David

OP
OP
reynard101

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Have you looked at my build? I built mine the same way but with an Auto tranny, because I had it all too. Mine has the 351w/C6/203/205 with a D60/14 bolt axles. I used 2 crossmembers on mine, the front transmission crossmember I took up and over my drive shaft to protect the transmission like a safety loop. It has already protected it once!

I have pictures of them in my build thread from start to finish along with from 1/2 tons to the tons I have now. The link is in my sig. line.

Any questions PM me, I'll try to get you any other pics or angles that you need.

David

Thanks. I'll take a look. SpareParts, just turned my calendar to February. Nice!

Do you remember how far down you mounted the transfercase? I was hoping to keep mine even with the bottom of the frame. I'll have a some body lift with the NP435, 2".

attachment.php

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Thanks,

I have a 2" body lift as well along with a 5 1/2" susp. Mine is hanging down lower than I would like, but it's a compromise. With keeping a relatively stock 94" wb, the rear DS is only 22 1/2" long. I have the 14 bolt clocked to point the DS at the output shaft of the 205. I'm running 1330 CV head that has been clearanced to 35 deg. and my rear axle on drop out binds just before the CV head does.

This is something I would like to change, one of the only things. My rear doesn't flex as much as I would like, when I correct this I will probably use a limiting strap to keep the center of the rearend from dropping out too much and binding the CV head. The best solution is to by a expensive CV that will have more flex, I just can't justify spending that kind of money on it right now.

To answer the question, mine 205 probably hangs 2 inches below the frame. My rear crossmember protects the 205 and I have only been hung up on it one time and have been wheeling it that way for 3 - 4 yrs. I can push mine up the 2" with not interference above the t-case, I'm on the fence on doing so and just strapping the rear. EFI is my next priority!

David