• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP205 v.s. D20

Amac70

ME
the 205 is bullet proof but is only 2:1 low the d20 is pretty stout and also has a 2.43 low. As for better or worse its a personal choice of what you gain and give up.

bent70

Loc.
san francisco
205 is the stoutest tc made for 1/2ton to 1.25t trucks.<br>Well at least the ford one with 32spline outputs. The gear ratio is 1.96, good for all around wheeling, but you need alittle more when it comes to serious rockcrawling. It pretty heavy too.<br><br>D-20 is a good tc. It isn't the strongest stock but with the $$ 32spline rear output conversion it's ok for trucks with little power and 38" tires. Ofcourse the weak link then becomes the front output shaft. With its low range it good allround.<br><br>Better overal tc depends on your needs.<br>In my case the 205 was better because it offered strength for my 40s and rounded off my 1ton drivetrain. Although eventually I want to go with a klune to get more ratio options and better crawl for the more hardcore rock trails. <br><br>If you have moderate power and 36's> the 20 would be the better choice.

RobsBronc

Loc.
sandy, ut
i agree with them. what are you going to do with your rig. if its smashing the skinny pedal with huge HP and 40s id go with the 205. weekend warrior with 35s mild motor stick with the 20. its a loose loose kind of thing. if you have huge tires and power you get the 205 but not so good low range. you have less power smaller tires you get the better lowrange. or you could always go with a 205 backed with the klune or 203 to get your lowrange and you could always beef up the 20. just have to figure out what your plans are for your rig

OP
OP
S

Spence

Loc.
Westminster, Co
I'll be mating it to a np435, so I should have good low range. Sounds like the 205 is the winner for me. Thanks for the input. 8)

rednck21

yeah that will be a stout setup. if your lucky you can find a 435/205 in a old ford pickup and just swap them right over ;Dgood luck

bent70

Loc.
san francisco
do you have the 435 already?<br>If so make sure its a 4wd one. I used to have a 435/20 combo and bought another 435/205 out of a truck thinking I would mate the adapter and 205 to 435 already in my bronco. ( this 435 was freshly rebuilt too.,but out of a 2wd)<br>It ended up being a different bolt pattern. <br>So now I have a worn out 435 that came with the 205 in my junk. <br><br>2wd- square pattern<br>4wd- trapizoid pattern

OP
OP
S

Spence

Loc.
Westminster, Co
The one I'm getting was pulled from a '75 EB already mated to the 205. Thanks, though. Didn't know there was a difference. Too bad you had to learn the hard way, huh? :-U

rednck21

[quote author=Recently DeJEEPed link=board=5;threadid=13157;start=0#99145 date=1042397148]<br>BTW, Rednck, I like your tow vehicle too. ;) Too bad you can't stuff a powerstroke in an EB.<br>[/quote]<br><br>THANKS ;D that would be one mean EB!