• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 installed with problems.....help

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I finally got my 435 installed yesterday, but stabbed the shifter in, and only third gear worked. so today, I popped the shifter back out, and used a mirror to line up the gates. Reinstalled the shifter, and now it won't move. I can only shift into 1st and reverse, but when I let off the clutch, it dies like I am in a high gear (4th?) I put the transfer case in neutral, and it still stalls out before moving and as soon as I let off the clutch.

Can any of you gurus troubleshoot this for me? It worked on the bench.

I used a two wheel drive NP435, a 1 inch adapter plate from 66halfcab, and a 6 cylinder intermediate housing. I did not cut off the inch of threads on the NP435 output shaft, as it did not appear to need to disappear. Installed a new flywheel, starter, and clutch--again, it up and drove yesterday in third gear.

Any suggestions before I give up and take this thing to a shop?

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
What I learned was if you don't have those little pads on the tips of the U shaped forks it doesn't shift well. Also, did you go through the thing before installing and are you sure the shifter was installed with the rods all aligned correctly.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What length bolt did you use on the bottom drivers side of the plate? I found that when I used a 1 1/2" bolt it interferred with the gears. Also do you have both of the shift rails lined up or only the one?

OP
OP
mp

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I have the u's facing each other. I even have a spare top that I used as a mock up, and it looks the same as what the mirror shows in the case.

All the plastic pads were on when the top cover was tightened up.

I am leaning towards the bolt in the plate being too long.......I think it was 1.5 inches.

Unfortunately I am out of daylight and time. Tomorrow morning it goes on a flat bed tow truck to the tranny shop. I will let them know what I think.

So much for my low budget swap.....this is going to get expensive.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just did the same conversion with the same plate. I found that if you use any bolt longer than 1 1/4" on the bottom drivers side of the plate it does not allow the reverse gear to disengage and will bind the transmission. Fortunately I found this when it was still on the floor in the garage. You will have to pull off the transfer case and 6 cyl housing replace this bolt and then you should be in good shape. I would do this before you send it to the shop.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is the bolt that I am referring to.

Attachments

• 100_0245.jpg
    100_0245.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 108

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
kyle said:
I just did the same conversion with the same plate. I found that if you use any bolt longer than 1 1/4" on the bottom drivers side of the plate it does not allow the reverse gear to disengage and will bind the transmission. Fortunately I found this when it was still on the floor in the garage. You will have to pull off the transfer case and 6 cyl housing replace this bolt and then you should be in good shape. I would do this before you send it to the shop.

I agree with this.

OP
OP
mp

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Pulled the t-case, swapped out the bolt, and the problem still exists. Still won't shift into 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. When I let out the clutch in 1st or Reverse, it acts like it is engaged, and wants to die. Any other ideas, before i have it towed to a shop?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
shift rails

I Did This On A Big Tractor It Would Die When I Let Out On The Clutch
Well I Had My Shifter I Front Of The Rails Instead Of In Them.. I Could Move One Gear Back So I Was In 2 Gears At The Same Time ..this Sound Like What Is Happing To You ..if You Fixed The 1 1/4 Bolt ....
Pa Pitt

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you remove the top cover at any time? If so it sounds like the shift forks might not be lined up properly.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When installing or removing the top cover it's easiest to clock it slightly counter clockwise to clear the forks.

OP
OP
mp

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
kyle said:
Any Luck?

Kyle-

I did remove the cracked cover with the other you included, so I did pop and replace the top. I also failed to bench test AFTER I put on the new top cover.....I was so anxious to get it installed, I forgot.

Tomorrow I will unbolt my exhaust again, and drop the NP435. Hopefully I didn't cause any damage.

66Gasgrill

Loc.
Canton, NC
I had the same problem out of mine. Same conversion, changed the bolt still nothing. I think I pulled it back apart, and took the top cover back off. If memory serves I moved the gears around until the tranny was in neutral the reinstalled the top cover with the shift forks in the neutral position and it worked fine.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I rebuilt SHEMP Walkers NP435 I was lucky that I did bench check the gears as the shift forks are very tricky to align properly. I bet that is your problem. Yank that out and remove the top cover and retry the placement. It took me a few time to get it right. Good Luck, BI