• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435-Reverse light switch???

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Still working through the Painless install, adding NP435 at the same time. There is a place next to the shifter for some sort of wiring plug. Is this for the back up lights or some sort of neutral safety switch? If it is for the B/U lights how does it work, is there some sort of external unit? Any help and amybe even a part number would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Walt

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I'm pretty sure you just run one wire to the positive and the other to the lights, and that switch provides a break in the circut. You shouldn't need any other parts. I haven't hooked mine up yet though, because i'm a procrastonator.

black pearl

that sounds like the backup lights.i haven't found a plug yet.i just stuck the wires down in and caulked them in.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Yes, that is for your back up lights. I went to my local you-pull yard and found the plug that plugs into the tranny. Then the painless harness has two wires marked for back up lights. Presto!

Familyman

I've been looking for mine for a while now, and all of the pix sent to me showed a screw-in switch at the bottom drivers' side below the shifter. The reason I couldn't find mine was because I don't have one.....I was on the phone with Tom's and was told that NP435s up to 1966-67 didn't have them. If you need a pic of the location let me know.

Sean (FFMDX)

(Sorry, I'm on FM's computer)

FFMDX

Loc.
Roseville, CA
Familyman said:
I've been looking for mine for a while now, and all of the pix sent to me showed a screw-in switch at the bottom drivers' side below the shifter. The reason I couldn't find mine was because I don't have one.....I was on the phone with Tom's and was told that NP435s up to 1966-67 didn't have them. If you need a pic of the location let me know.

Sean (FFMDX)

(Sorry, I'm on FM's computer)

DITTO...Sorry Chuck!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
My NP435 has a small hole in the top cover that accepts the plug for the backup light switch. I don't recall what year my tranny is, but I just kept my eye out for the correct plug at the u-pull it yard and finally found one. Spliced it into the stock wiring harness and the lights work fine.

OP
OP
XT700

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
I made my own connector, used to 14-16 gauge butt connectors squeezed to fit on the teminals tightly. Connected each to a short length of wire then put heat shrink tube around each connection and then another piece around the two wires to stiffen it up. Installed a Weatherpack connector to the other end and will put the matching connector on the Painless harness. Thanks to all for the info. and suggestions.

Thanks, Walt

FFMDX

Loc.
Roseville, CA
Not to highjack, but for those of you (if any) who have an early model NP435 w/out the switch on the top of the trans., how have you wired your reverse lites? Separate switch, fab your own bracket and use a button type switch, forget about it...Thoughts, ideas pix???

Sean

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I know this doens't answer your question, but I have never seen a stock 3-speed that was converted to a floor shifter that had working back up lights. Since the stock switch is on the column and works with the stock linkages, most conversions I've seen just ignore the switch. California doesn't have a safety inspection, so it's pretty easy to get away with here.

FFMDX

Loc.
Roseville, CA
The only way you can get rev. lites from a 3 spd to 4 spd swap (NP435) is by swapping in a trans from around 1970-up. I rewired my rig last year and have those two wires just hanging there.

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX
I hate to dig up such an old thread... but I believe the reverse light switch for some NP435's is a Pollak C9TB-15520-B, and Motorcraft replacement part is available

Motorcraft SW840

and the pigtail connector

Motorcraft WPT826 (which is not cheap!)

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have never seen a stock 3-speed that was converted to a floor shifter that had working back up lights. Since the stock switch is on the column and works with the stock linkages, most conversions I've seen just ignore the switch.

I should have taken pics before pulling mine out and selling it, but I took the stock switch off the column and screwed it into a bent metal plate (one of those little thingies with the hole and the 90° bend that come in some switch kits) and bolted it to the Hurst/Duff shifter. Easy to do.
Even managed to run the stock wires all the way there after pulling them out of their ties.

Worked great for years.

Paul

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Walt, i bet you know someone who can hook you up ;)