• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 reverse light

jsulse

Loc.
Creston, CA
Quick question re: wiring up reverse lights.
Have no functioning reverse lights now.
Wish to get stock reverse lamps working and add an additional relayed halogen lamp.
I believe my truck originally came with a 3-on-the-tree. See pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydvkbfdnqexafis/20140214_090918_resized.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ray42vpi1xwwij2/20140214_090956_resized.jpg?m=

Is this the reverse light switch wire next to tranny?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yed4ytx1u6c6nbx/20140214_091500_resized.jpg

Will get pig tail for NP435. Is it the same for all years? Don't know year built for my tranny. If above wire is not for reverse lights do I have to look on column for the reverse light circuit?
Which wire should I splice into to control relay for additional halogen lamp?

Thanks! I'm really not that good with electrical and want the wiring clean.

J

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, standard manual 3-speed stuff in the first two pics.
The stock backup lamp switch would have been clamped to the column right by the two levers. When you pulled the rev lever up, it pushed the switch.

Not sure where those two Violet wires go in your harness, but the connection and those colors looks like your original Bronco's dash-mounted Brake Warning lamp switch wires.
The switch would have been in the original brake line H-block (or proportioning valve on '76 and '77 EB's) down on the frame near where the pic was taken.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and not sure if all 435's used the same switch or not, but I'm pretty sure there were slight variations in how they were set up. Whether they used different switches too though, I'm not sure.

But since they're simple open/close switches, if you find the switch you can connect the backup lamp wires to it using either side. They're just completing the circuit, so there is no positive or negative thing going on.

Your chassis backup lamp wires are probably up in the driver's side corner of the engine compartment, just laying there somewhere. Hopefully they were not cut off. If the PO did what I did on mine, I ran them back to the corner and extended them to connect to the floor shifter.
Look for another pair of wires then. Not those purple/violet ones.

Paul

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
You will need to connect to of both those( if those are the correct ones) you can test those to see if they are right. One should have 12v once the key is on. The other that does not if you put 12v to it should fire up the backups.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
As Blue Bastard said, jump the two angled plugs with a test lead and the ignition key on. You should have backup lights doing that.

BTW my 435 and brake switch plugs look identical. You might follow that harness in your first pics and see where the other end goes.