• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 shifter

Jess Luvs 2Romp

Loc.
Montara, CA
I just put the beast of a tranny in, and stuck the shifting arm (dunno what else to call it) into the top of the tranny... but it doesn't feel like it's shifting the trans. did i do something wrong? is there a specific place to stick it in the top loader besides just 'in'?

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes there is. If you look down in the top cover you will see what looks like two U's facing one another. It needs to drop in those. It is usually easiest to line up if the transmission is in neutral when you take it out, and put it back in.

broncobear22

Loc.
Denver, Colorado
It needs to go in the middle of those shifter rails. If you can't get the shifter in when the tranny is in gear, take a screw driver and shift it into neutral then put the shifter in

OP
OP
Jess Luvs 2Romp

Jess Luvs 2Romp

Loc.
Montara, CA
i'm gonna do that screw driver deal, cuz it's def not in neutral.

and yea, i got that sucker down, nearly killed my fingers doin it :eek:

and damn welndmn, you're everywhere ;D

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On the lock ring sometimes it's easier to get two screw drivers on opposite corners of the cap and push down and turn with them.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
I'm having the same problem getting the shifter into the the correct position. How were you able to finally solve the problem? Where did you stick your screw driver into and how was it that you finally got it into neutral. I'd love some pics or a good description of what you did. Anyone ?:? ?:?

TIA,
raleigh_bronco

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The top cap has a rectangle opening. I took 2 flat screw drivers, one on each side, pushed down and clockwise. It depends on how old the spring is in the cap on how difficult this task is.

OP
OP
Jess Luvs 2Romp

Jess Luvs 2Romp

Loc.
Montara, CA
^^ i think he's talk before that point..
since i had the drive shafts off, i just put the transfercase in 2wd, and shifter the linkage inside with a screw driver til the rear driveshaft was in neutral.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
kyle said:
The top cap has a rectangle opening. I took 2 flat screw drivers, one on each side, pushed down and clockwise. It depends on how old the spring is in the cap on how difficult this task is.

I used a large channelock plier spread it open to the size it fits with the upper and lower jaw in two oposite corners, push down and turn.

Much more easier than trying to push and turn two screwdrivers.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Jess Luvs 2Romp said:
^^ i think he's talk before that point..
since i had the drive shafts off, i just put the transfercase in 2wd, and shifter the linkage inside with a screw driver til the rear driveshaft was in neutral.

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about; I need to get the NP into neutral so I can then push the shifter down and twist. How do you slide the NP into neutral via screw drivers like Jess is saying? What needs to be pushed, what direction?

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you look down in the top cover you will see what looks like two U's facing one another. When those line up in the middle, you are in neutral. Reach down in with a screw driver and you can move them forward and backwards.

OP
OP
Jess Luvs 2Romp

Jess Luvs 2Romp

Loc.
Montara, CA
for me it wasn't a very exact science... you just gotta f' with it til the driveshaft spins. just try to imagine what the gear might be in if you made the linkage shift that way with the actual shifter.