• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Np435 swap help

bswakeboarder

I just did the swap this morning, and i switched the bushings on the cross member, but the transfer case doesn't sit on the bushings it is floating. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. It is an advanced adapters tranny adapter if that makes any difference.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK, there is a lot of weight back there, it should rest on the bushings. Since it is not there must be something holding it up. By floating you mean that you could remove the crossmember and the transmission will stay up and not fall, correct?

Look for something holding it up. My guesses range from exhaust. The hole in the floor too small or caught on a lip. Engine mounts not right and the valve covers pressing against the firewall.

OP
OP
B

bswakeboarder

I'm looking into that, but I have another problem. The person that owned the bronco before me kept the 6 cylinder intermediate tranny adapter between the trany and transfer case when he swaped in a V8. The problem is that it is a shorter setup, and now my drivshafts are 2.5 inches to long in the rear, and short in the front. Any sugestion besides getting the driveshafts shortened or lengthened?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Move the engine mounts forward. Not kidding. If the PO had done V8 swap correctly, he woulda used the longer V8 intermediate housing, which woulda put the engine a couple and a half inches further forward. Which in turn would allow your Tcase to rest on the cross member instead of the heads resting on the firewall.

bigjhoov

nobody
Swap the front driveshaft yoke to the rear, and rear to the front.

brianlowry

Loc.
Louisville, KY
Don't mean to hijack or to ask a completely stupid question.
But I'm in the process of finishing my 435 swap and when you talk about swaping yokes, you mean the yokes on the t-case and not the axles correct?

Wakeboarder, I've run into a similar problem with my bushings, not the floating part, but when I remount the cross member, I don't have enough room between the t-case and crossmember to mount the bushings.
Hopefully my 2" body lift next week with take care of that problem and can install the bushings properly.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
When Running buddy did this swap he had to swap the drive shaft yokes and his was all well ...Mine was correct thou from the start ...
My trans just wouldnt stab...

bigjhoov

nobody
Don't mean to hijack or to ask a completely stupid question.
But I'm in the process of finishing my 435 swap and when you talk about swaping yokes, you mean the yokes on the t-case and not the axles correct?

Wakeboarder, I've run into a similar problem with my bushings, not the floating part, but when I remount the cross member, I don't have enough room between the t-case and crossmember to mount the bushings.
Hopefully my 2" body lift next week with take care of that problem and can install the bushings properly.

No, I mean the drive shaft yokes, on the driveshaft. Not on the axles, and not on the transfer case. The yoke on the drive shaft.

bigjhoov

nobody
The slip yoke, I guess.

DRSSLIPYOLK.JPG

OP
OP
B

bswakeboarder

Thank you guys I swapped the yokes and it worked like a charm. I think i may just run the bushings the normal way. Can't figure it out.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
I am not sure but are not the driveshafts same length wregardless a 6 or 8 cylinder? So, previous owner didnt locate engine mounts correctly when swapping to V8 motor. Transfer case location doesnt change when swapping engines. Only transmission does.

OP
OP
B

bswakeboarder

6cylinder and 8cylinder intermediate housings were different lengths so if you used a 6cylinder intermediate housing with a 8cylinder engine then the hole setup would be shorter then the stock V8 setup.

OP
OP
B

bswakeboarder

The bronco that I bought had the weird V8 with 6 cylinder intermediate housing setup, and what he did to it was moved the cross member forward 2.5 inches, so there were no beatin in firewalls. I had to move the crossmember back to the stock location when I did the Np435 swap.