• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

np435 to d-20?

c-gallagher

Im trying to get my np435 mated to a dana 20. The extension housing i have does not directly bolt up to the d20 like I was told it would. is there an adapter that i will need to make this fit or what needs to be done for this to work. Any advise will help thanks.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Just to cover the basics.... First ya gotta have the right tranny, 2wd with 28 spline output shaft with a square bolt pattern on the back where the adapter would bolt to. Then ya gotta either have a full adapter kit, or an adapter plate with 6cyl intermediate housing. You have one of the two?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
While there are two adapter options as Nightstick mentions, they are both the same at the Dana 20 side. The difference is at the transmission side, so if the adapter you have is bolting to the transmission without any problems, you either need to clock the D20 around to get the holes to line up or you have the wrong adapter.

The bolt pattern on the NP435 adapter will be the same as the stock transmission adapter - if you still have the stock one, compare the bolt patterns.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
While there are two adapter options as Nightstick mentions, they are both the same at the Dana 20 side. The difference is at the transmission side, so if the adapter you have is bolting to the transmission without any problems, you either need to clock the D20 around to get the holes to line up or you have the wrong adapter.

The bolt pattern on the NP435 adapter will be the same as the stock transmission adapter - if you still have the stock one, compare the bolt patterns.

Ah, I misread the first post and thought he was having trouble getting it bolted to the tranny. My bad

To the OP, what adapter or intermediate housing are you using?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have a 6-banger EB extension housing and a Ford 2wd NP435 you need the simple 1" thick adapter that mates the extension housing to the 435.

I have a few of them laying around..those adapter plates.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like he has a 4WD NP435 and a full size transfer case adaptor. Really the wrong transmission to be starting with but it can be made to work. In theory you could use a ZF adaptor to make it work.

Again, just like the rest of you, we are guessing what he has...

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Post up a picture, but like mentioned above, I would guess you have a 205/203 or a Dana 21 adapter.

The later would be better since you wouldn't need to change the output shaft. If it was in front of a 205/203 you are not only going to need a different adapter but a different output shaft on the transmission

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like he has a 4WD NP435 and a full size transfer case adaptor. Really the wrong transmission to be starting with but it can be made to work. In theory you could use a ZF adaptor to make it work.

Again, just like the rest of you, we are guessing what he has...

Good catch..I missed the part about the adapter housing not mating with the D-20. Oops.

superlite2

Loc.
DixieLand!
Hi Justin

Hey there Buddy, This is Dusty (superlite2) I got the NP-435 adapter from ya back in Febuary or so, It is going in next week, I have rebuilt the front axle completely d-30, king pins all energy suspension bushings, all seals and axle u-joints. Ready to 435 it and twin stick the D-20, I will have to post a pic soon, again thanks ang GOD BLESS YA! Dusty

OP
OP
c-gallagher

c-gallagher

Here are some pictures of what I have. i purchased the extension housing from TBP and was told that it was what i would need to make it work with the D20. I have changed the output shaft in the np435 as well. Hopefully these pics will clear up the confusion.
photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo5.jpg

bax

Contributor
Old Member
That all looks like it should work. What problem are you having? You said bolt up problems? do you have the intermediate gasket. You can check the pattern with it. I see you have the trap case and have changed the tail shaft. it all shouls work

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Bolt pattern looks correct to me. The bolts to the transfer case are in the adapter backwards, I hope you are not trying to mate them with the bolts in there like shown in the picture.

Input shaft to the transfer case should be in the adapter, not in the TC - at least that is how I have always seen them put together.

OP
OP
c-gallagher

c-gallagher

It is the correct bolt pattern but if you look at the d20 where it would bolt up to the interm housing, the tcase wont alow the neck of the interm housing to fit flush. I know that what i'm sayin is hard to desipher haha i apologize for the made up terminology.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
It should work just the way you have it. It will pull together around the bearing retainer. Like red said normally the spud shaft is inside the extension housing with the input gear showing. But it will work the way you have it.

OP
OP
c-gallagher

c-gallagher

Here it is sitting upright and there is no more room for movement so you can see there is still about an inch between interm housing and t case.
35270b67.jpg

0be5f502.jpg

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I could very easily be wrong, but I thought you had to put the intermediate shaft in it's housing from the front. I just did this and sure I had to do it that way.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
the spud shaft and bearing should fit inside the intermediate housing. Are you going from auto to manual?

OP
OP
c-gallagher

c-gallagher

Yes I am going from auto to manual. Does that make a difference in the tcase? Rookie question

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The C4 spudshaft is shorter than the 3-speed spud-shaft. plus I believe the six cylinder one is different length than the v8