• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

np435 to d-20?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
On the output shaft to the transmission, there would have been a threaded part that the two wheel drive yoke bolted to. Most of the time, these will slip together with the threaded part left intact, but I have heard of instances where the threaded part needed to be cut off to get them to fit together. Your spud shaft could be bottoming out on the end of the output shaft of the transmission.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I always cut the threaded part off.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That bearing retainer (the collar on the front of the Dana 20) is for the C-4 intermediate housing. The manual intermediate housing doesn't use it.

You need to install the bearing, spud shaft, and the bearing retaining clip into the intermediate housing, mount the spud shaft gear and the retaining clip on the spud shaft, then it's usually easier to mount the the intermediate housing to the transfer case so that you don't drop the roller bearings before installing it on the transmission.

No big deal you are almost there.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This shows a couple pictures of how it should look before you hang the transfer case:

http://classicbroncos.com/np435.shtml

Have the output side of the transfer case facing the floor when you pull that bearing reatainer. When you pull the bearing retainer the spud shaft and gear will come out. The reason you want it facing up is that there are some roller bearings that the spud shaft rides on and they will fall into the transfer case.

rock-n-bronco

Loc.
rapid city, SD
If you have a 6-banger EB extension housing and a Ford 2wd NP435 you need the simple 1" thick adapter that mates the extension housing to the 435.

I have a few of them laying around..those adapter plates.
oh please say you still have some of these adapters laying around? i could really use one. i dont know if i can pm or email here or not but leave a message some how.

OP
OP
c-gallagher

c-gallagher

This is where i stand now. tranny tcase and all is ready to be stabbed in.
6e1694b7.jpg

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
Here it is sitting upright and there is no more room for movement so you can see there is still about an inch between interm housing and t case.
35270b67.jpg

0be5f502.jpg

Tranfer case input is for a automatic remove input and housing and put bearing and female coupler into your tbp adapter then slide it together. The extention housing is the input shaft support