• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NP435 with Explorer Motor...Body Lift Required?

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
So, I obviously I have this engine and tranny combo. I currently have a 2" BL on my rig, but I don't like the look. The problem is, the NP435 shifter top already sits right against the heater box. I would love to take this thing back down to a 1" BL. Anyone running this tranny with a 1" BL? What about with the Explorer motor? Hood clearance issues?

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Back in the day I installed many 435s with 0 body lift. There are tall and short tower 435s. The short towers are preferred. You have to make an abrupt 90 degree bend on the shift handle and sometimes clearance on the heater is necessary. A 1" body just make it all that much easier.

Can't speak to the Explorer question. It seems like you need a little body lift for the hood clearance.

Jim

Last edited:

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have that combo with a 1" body lift. I did have to re bend the shifter a bit to my liking and I also had to trim a little off the corner of the heater box to clear when in first gear.
As for the explorer intake and hood clearance, I believe it would fit but I can't say for sure personally as I put an edelbrock intake and holley sniper efi on my explorer engine.

Here's a few pictures from my build when I installed it and of where I trimmed the heater box(shown in first gear)

Attachments

• IMG_1814.jpg
    IMG_1814.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2149.jpg
    IMG_2149.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2162.jpg
    IMG_2162.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9628.jpg
    IMG_9628.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9629.jpg
    IMG_9629.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 54

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As mentioned, two different tower heights. Don't remember how to tell them apart unless they are side by side.
I ran a 435 with no body lift. Think it was the tall tower as well. Ended up cutting the shifter arm and welding it back on at 90°, much tighter than a bend would allow. Also notched the bottom of the heater box. By accident, shifted into low and the shifter notched the box for me. A side benefit to cutting and welding the shifter arm is we took one bend and about 8" of material out of it. Allowed the shifter to go on the left side of the transfer case shifter and lined up very nice for driving. The shorter shaft made for a short throw shifter. Only downside was the leverage was down for the sideways throw to get into reverse. The spring was a little too stiff. Just had to throw the shifter sideways and it went in. Just say you were not accidently going to hit reverse. That was still the best aligned NP435 shifter I ever drove. Took it out 18 years ago when I went to 4R70W.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Back in the day I installed many 435s with 0 body lift. There are tall and short tower 435s. The short towers are preferred. You have to make an abrupt 90 degree bend on the shift handle and sometimes clearance on the heater is necessary. A 1" body just make it all that much easier.

Can't speak to the Explorer question. It seems like you need a little body lift for the hood clearance.

Jim

Thanks JIM. I’ll call you guys tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I have that combo with a 1" body lift. I did have to re bend the shifter a bit to my liking and I also had to trim a little off the corner of the heater box to clear when in first gear.
As for the explorer intake and hood clearance, I believe it would fit but I can't say for sure personally as I put an edelbrock intake and holley sniper efi on my explorer engine.

Here's a few pictures from my build when I installed it and of where I trimmed the heater box(shown in first gear)

Beautiful install. Thanks for the info

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
As mentioned, two different tower heights. Don't remember how to tell them apart unless they are side by side.
I ran a 435 with no body lift. Think it was the tall tower as well. Ended up cutting the shifter arm and welding it back on at 90°, much tighter than a bend would allow. Also notched the bottom of the heater box. By accident, shifted into low and the shifter notched the box for me. A side benefit to cutting and welding the shifter arm is we took one bend and about 8" of material out of it. Allowed the shifter to go on the left side of the transfer case shifter and lined up very nice for driving. The shorter shaft made for a short throw shifter. Only downside was the leverage was down for the sideways throw to get into reverse. The spring was a little too stiff. Just had to throw the shifter sideways and it went in. Just say you were not accidently going to hit reverse. That was still the best aligned NP435 shifter I ever drove. Took it out 18 years ago when I went to 4R70W.

Thanks. Guess I’ll try the 1”

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I must have a low tower on mine. No body lift and didn't modify the heater or cut the shifter. Bent the lever so it doesn't contact anything in any gear.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have a 1" body lift and a NP435 in my 67. I did bend the shifter to clear the dash. it doesn't hit the heater but its close. I like the NP 435 I know its old school but it just kind of fits my rig.

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
This is an NP435 with a 1” body lift. I’m pretty sure this is the shorter shift tower version.

Attachments

• 94E7AC7E-17C0-4D39-A840-92880C64F833.jpg
    94E7AC7E-17C0-4D39-A840-92880C64F833.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 26

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Hey Chuck, I have the 1" BL also. My suggestion is when you talk to WH to get the Gearbanger also, makes life SOOOOO much easier.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Hey Chuck, I have the 1" BL also. My suggestion is when you talk to WH to get the Gearbanger also, makes life SOOOOO much easier.

Already ordered the BL. Might have to look at the Gearbanger