• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

np435

bdrake1

Loc.
texarkana
i had someone give me a np435.but it does not bolt up to a 205 transfercase.it is out of a 70s 4x4.will it work with a adapter to dana20.i think he said the other transfercase was a in and out or something

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Some of the early '70s 4WD F150s had a Dana 21 transfer case in them. Externally, it's similar to the D20, but it's a single speed unit, so no low range (sometimes referred to as in and out).

It's been said that you could use the intermediary housing that came with the D21 to mate it up to the D20, that the general design was close enough that you only had to drill some new holes around the point.

I haven't actually done it myself, so I can't say for sure if it works. I did do a rough visual insepction of one in the junkyard, and it did look possible, but couldn't say for sure.

If you're planning to use another adapter anyway, then it should work, as it will have the 28 spline output shaft. You'd have to measure the holes across the back of the NP435 to make sure though.
Joe