• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV 3550 swap questions

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
A few questions for the guys who been there and done that.
I'm planning a NV3550 swap. My current set up is a 97 Explorer 5.0 and a C4.
The only thing I have left is the clutch pedal
Can some help me with what parts I'm looking for that will work.
- bell housing, what year
- flywheel , I think it has to be a 11 in
- stater, I'm currently using the explorer stater
- I want to use a Hydraulic T/O

I will go with on of the venders for the adapters

I plan on using my stock T-20 transfer case

Any help would be appreciated.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Well, I did the swap a few yrs ago, but I pulled the original 3spd column shift trans and installed a new NV3550 with the TBP kit, which was excellent, it had everything I needed, crossmember, adapters, hardware etc. I don't know if it would be much different having a 5.0 and C4, I used my stock bellhousing, a centerforce 2 clutch, so the linkage was already there which helped a lot, IIRC I bought a new flywheel, the trickiest thing is gonna be that foot pedal and hooking it up, since theres no provision for it.;D

Attachments

• IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 52

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
You will need a bell housing for the stock 3 speed behind the 302. You will need the correct balanced flywheel for your motor, I believe a flywheel for a 1993 Mustang 5 speed will work. You will need the throwout arm (I recommend a new one, they are a wear item) the manual clutch linkage, you can source it from the vendors and a manual starter. The ring gear is spaced different from auto to manual so the starters don't interchange. Other than that, it is a pretty straight forward swap. Just install a 1" body lift and take your time.

Nothing Special

If you want a hydraulic throwout bearing I think you'll need a bellhousing that originally came with one. That means something starting around '83 or so, up to about '87, or whenever the bells started being integrated in the trans housing (the Mazda and ZF 5 speeds). And obviously from a 300 six or a 302 or 351W V8, not a 351M, 460 or diesel.

Of course you'll need the rest of the hydraulic setup as well rather than the mechanical everything that early Broncos came with.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You will need a bell housing for the stock 3 speed behind the 302. You will need the correct balanced flywheel for your motor, I believe a flywheel for a 1993 Mustang 5 speed will work. You will need the throwout arm (I recommend a new one, they are a wear item) the manual clutch linkage, you can source it from the vendors and a manual starter. The ring gear is spaced different from auto to manual so the starters don't interchange. Other than that, it is a pretty straight forward swap. Just install a 1" body lift and take your time.

Not mustang. Those are 157 tooth. You want a truck flywheel, 164 tooth.

rjmunson

Loc.
Denver
I did the AX15 swap over the summer. My advice is to shop around a bit. Summit Racing actually carries most of the Advanced Adapter Kits for the Bronco. I got my AX15 full kit for about $200 less than AA and about $100 less than Toms with free shipping! Just drop the AA part number in the search...

Paid for my JB Twin Stick conversion kit!!

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Don't forget the monster shifter. ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 67

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
A few questions for the guys who been there and done that.
I'm planning a NV3550 swap. My current set up is a 97 Explorer 5.0 and a C4.
The only thing I have left is the clutch pedal
Can some help me with what parts I'm looking for that will work.
- bell housing, what year
- flywheel , I think it has to be a 11 in
- stater, I'm currently using the explorer stater
- I want to use a Hydraulic T/O

I will go with on of the venders for the adapters

I plan on using my stock T-20 transfer case

Any help would be appreciated.

I've done that swap with a 302 & C4.
But, I'm confused again.
You said you have everything but the clutch pedal. So, what do you need help with?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Tiko433

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I've done that swap with a 302 & C4.
But, I'm confused again.
You said you have everything but the clutch pedal. So, what do you need help with?

I meant the only thing I from a original set up is " the clutch pedal under the dash" at least I have that .