• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NV 3550 what kind of hp yall put in front

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
I have been thinking about this transmission but is it strong enough to handle 350-400 hp and they say 300lb torque max.How does this compare to the stock 3 speed? What have you guys run hp wise and how do they hold up. I like the over drive part of this tans a lot but big question is will it hold up to the hp and torque of say 351W.In 1969 the stock 351w had close to 300hp and 380lb torque and later years it was near or over 300lb of torque stock.

BTbronco

my brother has a 347 in front of his and it seems fine. It's not like you will be drag racing it right? or are you?! ;)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The advertised torque ratings are also for a 7200lb vehicle. While that doesnt really mean its way stronger it just means its probably a little stronger than most believe. Of course as eluded to the way you drive it probably matters more. Along those lines the more power you have in front of it the easier it will be to break.

bowhunter

Bronco Guru
Running a 400 hp (approx.) 347 stroker in front of mine with no issues.

ralls

Loc.
Andalusia
393 stroker in mine. only problem I've had is i broke two rear mounts before building a custom one.

OP
OP
ford man

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
Hey ralls what mount are you talking about the trans mount or cross member? I know if it can stand up to you it is strong enough for me ;)Did you sell the crawler or you still have it?