• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

nv3550 and jb fab t shift twin stick

patkelley

Loc.
Marietta
Anyone use the 'stock' jb fab t-shift twin stick with a nv 3550 conversion?

I bought the 'standard' t-shift twin stick kit from jb fab only to find that the shifter pivot is a different diameter than stock (have no idea why) and their pivot bolt is for stock adapter (too long for nv3550) so the bushings on the shifters need to be reamed just to mock this up and see if/what will work. They don't list an nv3550 specific kit on their site and since the stock t-shifter works with the aa nv 3550 kit, it seemed logical that a 'stock' twin shift would physically fit. If anyone has fit the non-nv3550 specific jbfab unit, please let me know what it took to get it installed. I have no t case shifter in my truck now, and no desire to wait 2 wks for more parts as they want me to return everything....

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I just used a standard bolt. with ths shoulder section just a little longer than the rod center sections. When the shoulder hits the mounting bracket it stops. I cut the bolt off on the thread side so that it would not hit the trans case, I used some thin washers next to the bolt head to get a good fit. Thread locker helps. You can purchase shoulder bolts made for this type of application, but they can be hard to find. It's been awhile, but I think I removed the spacers that came with the shifters and used a 1/2" bolt.

OP
OP
patkelley

patkelley

Loc.
Marietta
Thanks for finding that....

It looks like JB changed their T-shift kit between then and now as my shifters are different and they do not use any brackets, just the OE mount on the 3sp adapter. That said, there is a link to another nv3550 install in that thread which looks like it will really help. My biggest dilemma is that I may not be able to mod this while everything is still in the truck, even with a 2" body lift....

OP
OP
patkelley

patkelley

Loc.
Marietta
I just used a standard bolt. with ths shoulder section just a little longer than the rod center sections. When the shoulder hits the mounting bracket it stops. I cut the bolt off on the thread side so that it would not hit the trans case, I used some thin washers next to the bolt head to get a good fit. Thread locker helps. You can purchase shoulder bolts made for this type of application, but they can be hard to find. It's been awhile, but I think I removed the spacers that came with the shifters and used a 1/2" bolt.

From what I quickly measured, the JB kit uses a 1/2" (1/2 x 20 threads IIRC)bolt and the original Ford T-shift bolt is 5/8". The AA bracket is tapped for 1/2 x 13 threads (again IIRC....) and the bolt they supply is an allen head shoulder bolt with the 5/8" shoulder and 1/2 x 13 threads.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
When i bought my NV3550 adapter kit from Wildhorses, I dealt with Paul (Dirt Donk)....I also ordered the twin stick set up for my T-shift. I am 99% sure it is a JB Fab kit specific for the NV3550 ( I am sure it is NV3550 specific - bolted right up and was stainless steel shifters - no choice there).

I thought for sure Donk said they were JB fab shifters.

Check Wild Horses or JB Fab directly....they should be able to answer your concerns.

Pops

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Anyone use the 'stock' jb fab t-shift twin stick with a nv 3550 conversion?

I bought the 'standard' t-shift twin stick kit from jb fab only to find that the shifter pivot is a different diameter than stock (have no idea why) and their pivot bolt is for stock adapter (too long for nv3550) so the bushings on the shifters need to be reamed just to mock this up and see if/what will work. They don't list an nv3550 specific kit on their site and since the stock t-shifter works with the aa nv 3550 kit, it seemed logical that a 'stock' twin shift would physically fit. If anyone has fit the non-nv3550 specific jbfab unit, please let me know what it took to get it installed. I have no t case shifter in my truck now, and no desire to wait 2 wks for more parts as they want me to return everything....

Mr. Kelly,

As we had stated in our PMs, the shifter you have is made specifically to replace the stock "T"type shifter that mounts to the stock adapter housing with a 1/2" bolt.

The AA kit comes with a mounting bracket the utilizes a 5/8"X2"X1/2-13 shoulder bolt, A stock "T"type single shifter can be used if you remove the stock bushings. The stock shifter will work in this application since the single linkage and the "walking-beam" will accommodate the altered off-set of the AA bracket.

We have found by working with, and listening to our customers, to maintain the alignment of the linkages on the twin-stick shifter it is necessary to have a different geometry.

We are happy to exchange/customize your shifter to suit your application, or refund your purchase price if you decide it doesn’t meet your needs?

Regards,
Jon Barricklow
JB Custom Fabrication

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Mr. Kelly,

As we had stated in our PMs, the shifter you have is made specifically to replace the stock "T"type shifter that mounts to the stock adapter housing with a 1/2" bolt.

The AA kit comes with a mounting bracket the utilizes a 5/8"X2"X1/2-13 shoulder bolt, A stock "T"type single shifter can be used if you remove the stock bushings. The stock shifter will work in this application since the single linkage and the "walking-beam" will accommodate the altered off-set of the AA bracket.

We have found by working with, and listening to our customers, to maintain the alignment of the linkages on the twin-stick shifter it is necessary to have a different geometry.

We are happy to exchange/customize your shifter to suit your application, or refund your purchase price if you decide it doesn’t meet your needs?

Regards,
Jon Barricklow
JB Custom Fabrication

Can't argue with that! Hats off to JB Fab!!!! ;D

OP
OP
patkelley

patkelley

Loc.
Marietta
Can't argue with that! Hats off to JB Fab!!!! ;D

OOOHHHH, I could very much argue with that..... But, my intent here was not to deal with JB Fab's business practice in a public forum (as JB stated,
I did send him 2-3 PM's regarding this kit), but since JB decided to bring this public, there are 2 sides to every story.

First, I spent too much time deciding how to reply to JB's post here - I specifically did not want to deal with them (or for that matter any vendor which service does not meet expectation) publically as I really get sour when I read vendor bashing posts as there are always two sides.....

Regarding the exchange/return, JB will 'happily' exchange the WHOLE unit - it will cost me ~$40 in shipping and 2 wks time for this stuff to hopscotch back and forth across the country. This was a non-option for me at this time and I know that is my business, but my point in the original post was to find a REAL answer to making what was sent to me work before I starting modifying it.

The real issue here is that JB made a decision not to offer an NV3550 kit on his website - his business practice is his business, but he needs to decide whether he will sell out of his own garage OR thru vendor agreements, especially if he continues to build products in the present manner.

The specific problem is that JB decided to use a different diameter mounting bolt/diameter than Ford - I'm sure it's cheaper to stock a kit with a 1/2" bolt rather than a 5/8" (or a specially designed piece like the allen head bolt AA provides with their kit which uses the stock 5/8" Ford diameter setup)....

Also, it is interesting that AA builds their kit to work with the "stock" T-shifter - this would infer that they keep the shift linkage in a similar geometry to the 'stock' setup; and, in fact their kit DOES work with all of the stock parts. The only change is to use their mounting bracket (rather than the 3sp adapter which is removed) and a specially made shorter 5/8" sleeved bolt to attach the stock shifter to the bracket as the stock mount uses a much longer bolt.

Fast forward to me, buying a twin shift kit from JB's website: no option for the NV3550 listed and the 'stock' T-shifter works with the AA NV3550 conversion. Is it MY mistake that I ordered a 'stock' twin stick for a T-shift D20 when the NV3550 option was not offered on their website because of some absurd agreement with a vendor?? (who BTW does not divulge that their 'kit' is made by JB, but that's another issue) Whether I am to blame or not, my real problem is that JB in their infinite wisdom decided to cut costs and do their mount with 1/2" hardware rather than 'stock' 5/8", therby allowing no way for me to mock up the twin stick in the truck without reaming out their parts (and being fair to them, killing any opportunity to return them if I couldn't modify the kit to work).

I asked JB via PM if they could send me correct diameter bushings (and some info or the like) to at least get this kit on the truck - making a tweak or drilling a new linkage mount hole to make things 'perfect' would be a simple task for me. The 'pay shipping both ways and wait 2 wks' answer from JB (for an issue that I still can't comprehend is my fault) was unacceptable IMO as I am certain that making this kit work will be far easier than the HP D44 (with Auburn Ected Max) swap I finished up last month. My response to their 'offer' was it is far easier/cheaper to ream the parts out to 5/8" and make them work - maybe others would disagree (and I'm OK with that - I easily modified this kit)....

I have used 3 vendors on the drivetrain in my build - AA for the NV3550 kit, Core shifters for a short throw NV3550 unit, and JB Fab for a twin stick. 2 of the 3 are stellar firms whose products are designed for skilled installers; but, the quality of the parts and the logic of their design are quickly observed. The third firm is what it is.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thank you for your feedback,

You make a great point, we will modify the description of our stock replacement shifter with a disclaimer that clearly identifies the intended use of the model.

Please check your facts:
Ford did NOT use a 5/8" bolt, Ford used 1/2" bolt to mount "T" type shifters, 7/16" for the "J" type.

We do take exception your implication that we have done anything to make a lower quality product to save money.

Regards,
Jon Barricklow
JB Custom Fabrication

bentendo

I think what's going on here, no offense patkelley, is maybe you ordered the T-shift kit and assumed that would work with the AA NV3550 kit? Did you ask JB any questions on the front end about what you were ordering?

I have the JB twinsticks in my '72, and before I ordered I, too, was thrown by there being no "NV3550" option on the site. So I emailed Jon and asked 1, 2, then 3 times to make sure I was getting the right setup. I ordered them and installed them, with no problems, to my AA bracket on top of my NV3550. This was maybe… 5-6 months ago. So far they work great, though I do 2nd another poster's suggestion for thread locker to keep the sticks from getting sloppy.

Also, if ever you need a *really* specific bolt, like a shoulder bolt, this site is incredible:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Hope y'all work it out, sounds like just plain ol' miscommunication,

–Ben

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
I have dealt with and wheeled with Jon and have ALWAYS found him to be a stand up guy. I had a twin stick system from JBF in my rig it worked great for many years. Sometime in that many years one of the shifters broke, not due to Jon or his product as I had to mod it for an aod trans to Dana 20, not C4 to 20. Jon worked with me in replacing the mod'd lever at no cost to me. I can't believe he would be anything but 1st rate in everything he does, both professionally and personally. When I went to a doubler (203/205) Jon sent me two rubber boots so that I could make 'em work with the three shift levers. Again, at no cost not even shipping. As far as I'm concerned JB Fab is ACES and I'll stand up for him any time any day.

bronc50

I ordered the jb fab nv kit from the vendor and had no problems fitting it however I did not like the way the sticks were positioned and still bent them to my preferred position and also shortened the heim joints a lot by doing this I was also able to use a triple stick boot on the the nv and twins combined worked out sweet

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
MISCOMMUNICATION seems to be a somewhat common problem on this site when there are 'issues' between buyer and seller.

My solution is the TELEPHONE! I always call in an order, I NEVER use the computer, unless I have already talked to someone first. As I stated in my first response....I dealt with Dirt Donk (Paul) when ordering my NV 3550 adapter kit and twin sticks - he knew I needed a specific kit for the NV 3550 and told me so. So, everything was correct when I got it.

Earlier in my Bronco life (first summer of ownership) I was adding power steering and a power brake kit. Ordered everything from Tom's with the ASSUMPTION I had a 351 (that is what the seller told me I had). Once everything arrived and work started, my neighbor noticed several of the parts for the power steering set up (351 specific) wouldn't work, a TELEPHONE call to Tom's where my neighbor (much more mechanically inclined than me) explained what we had going on and new parts were shipped that day along with a return shipping label, and I think free return shipping. No one's fault on the ordering, MY mistake was assuming the Bronco seller was correct on the engine ID.

Phone calls are, in my mind much better than emails or computer ordering, BUT I am old-school and OLD TOO (56 this week). I am not tech savvy and don't want to be.

Sorry for the rambling, but it seems to me many issues can be easily remidied by phone vs. technology.

Pops

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Happy Birthday to you!!!!!! Happy Birthday to you!!!!! ;D
Phone calls are, in my mind much better than emails or computer ordering, BUT I am old-school and OLD TOO (56 this week). I am not tech savvy and don't want to be.

Sorry for the rambling, but it seems to me many issues can be easily remidied by phone vs. technology.

Pops[/QUOTE]