• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Nv3550

josimps2

I'm trying to fit my NV3550 tranny to Dana 20 adapter into the transfer case. In order for it to fit I have to put on the adapter plate and tighten down the bolts to force the gears into place in the transfer case. The problem I am having is the gears turn fine initially(both the output shaft and the transfer case gears turn one another) but once the adapter and gears get about halfway into the transfer case it binds and the gears get hung up and and I can't turn the tranny output shaft or the other end of the t-case. Anyone have this problem or and idea of what could be wrong?

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
josimps2 said:
I'm trying to fit my NV3550 tranny to Dana 20 adapter into the transfer case. In order for it to fit I have to put on the adapter plate and tighten down the bolts to force the gears into place in the transfer case. The problem I am having is the gears turn fine initially(both the output shaft and the transfer case gears turn one another) but once the adapter and gears get about halfway into the transfer case it binds and the gears get hung up and and I can't turn the tranny output shaft or the other end of the t-case. Anyone have this problem or and idea of what could be wrong?

I know that when I initially fit the adapter on my transfer case, I was having a problem with it fitting properly. I had some grit inside case where the adapter slides in that was causing a problem. I sanded it out by hand and that helped.

Silly question here; is the transmission in netural?

OP
OP
josimps2

josimps2

The transfer case was linked to a stock three speed before. Also, I don't have the tranny yet bolted up to the transfer case. I'm still trying to get the gears and adapter into the transfer case completely.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
In what order did you assemble the output gear and the adapter? On mine, I had to install the output gear into the adapter and then bolt that to the transfer case. From there bolt it to the transmission.

Is there a chance the transmission output shaft is bottoming out on the output gear or the output gear is bottoming out in the transfer case? If I remember correctly, there was a warning about a possible bottom out from Advanced Adapters.

OP
OP
josimps2

josimps2

Initially I had the bearings pressed into the adapter and then the outuput shaft pressed into the adapter. There could be a possibility that the output shaft is bottoming out, but there still is about an inch and a half inch gap between the adapter and the t-case, so I don't see how I would have to trim that much off the output shaft. I had the adapter put into a j-style t-case before and it went it somewhat smoothly, but after changing over to this t-style t-case I'm running into this problem. Is there a possibility that the output shaft is resting on top of the bearings somehow? I covered them in grease and placed them in the correct location.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
josimps2 said:
Initially I had the bearings pressed into the adapter and then the outuput shaft pressed into the adapter. There could be a possibility that the output shaft is bottoming out, but there still is about an inch and a half inch gap between the adapter and the t-case, so I don't see how I would have to trim that much off the output shaft. I had the adapter put into a j-style t-case before and it went it somewhat smoothly, but after changing over to this t-style t-case I'm running into this problem. Is there a possibility that the output shaft is resting on top of the bearings somehow? I covered them in grease and placed them in the correct location.

Are you able to put the output gear into the t-case without the adapter? Double check the bearings and make sure they are seated. 1 and 1/2 inches is pretty wide. I would say then its probably not a bottom out issue. There is a possibility that its hitting on top of the bearings but low chance. See if you can test fit just the output gear.

OP
OP
josimps2

josimps2

I remove the output gear and place it into the t-case it moves with no problem and turns the gears in the t-case. I can't remove the output shaft because i had it pressed on.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
josimps2 said:
I remove the output gear and place it into the t-case it moves with no problem and turns the gears in the t-case. I can't remove the output shaft because i had it pressed on.

Hummm... I don't remember pressing the output shaft into the gear. Perhaps I did but just can't remember. Is there a possibility that the shaft is pressed too far into that smaller adapter? It really sounds to me like its fitting too tight as you tighten the adapter up. I attached a picture of mine (its a little fuzzy but you can still see it.

Attachments

• Bronco-605 013 (Small).jpg
    Bronco-605 013 (Small).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Bronco-may05 003 (Small).jpg
    Bronco-may05 003 (Small).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
josimps2

josimps2

Coob said:
Hummm... I don't remember pressing the output shaft into the gear. Perhaps I did but just can't remember. Is there a possibility that the shaft is pressed too far into that smaller adapter? It really sounds to me like its fitting too tight as you tighten the adapter up. I attached a picture of mine (its a little fuzzy but you can still see it.

My adapter with gears and all looks to be exactly like the pic you posted above. The ouput shaft measures about same distance on both sides of the adapter as yours. I just can't figure how it would have worked on the j-style shifter but doesn't work on this t-style. What about the gears not being exactly aligned correctly initially where they turn with light pressure but as the adapter is tightened down it causes them to bind. What about running sandpaper around the adapter or the t=case so that the adapter will slide in without being forced into the t-case. Is this recommended?

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
josimps2 said:
My adapter with gears and all looks to be exactly like the pic you posted above. The ouput shaft measures about same distance on both sides of the adapter as yours. I just can't figure how it would have worked on the j-style shifter but doesn't work on this t-style. What about the gears not being exactly aligned correctly initially where they turn with light pressure but as the adapter is tightened down it causes them to bind. What about running sandpaper around the adapter or the t=case so that the adapter will slide in without being forced into the t-case. Is this recommended?

Well, sandpaper may do the trick as that is what I used to clean out where the two pieces come together. I used sandpaper to clean up two burrs on the inside rim where someone used a flat blade screwdriver to pry something out. Don't sandpaper the adapter as you will tear up the O-Ring. I don't see how it could be a problem being a T-style. Then again, I don't know much about the t-style.

Its up to you if you want to sand the inner lip of the t-case but if you do, just lightly sand and test fit. I sanded by hand on mine until the burrs were smooth. Perhaps someone else can comment on the t-style type of t-case. There may be a difference there.

Kansas Corey

Loc.
NorCal (East Bay)
Okay josimps2 - you are making me nervous ?:?

I just bought a used NV3550 and plan on ordering the adaptors next week sometime - I was looking forward to an easy install

Have you tried contacting Advanced Adaptors for some tech help? Just curious what they have to say.

OP
OP
josimps2

josimps2

Kansas Corey said:
Okay josimps2 - you are making me nervous ?:?

I just bought a used NV3550 and plan on ordering the adaptors next week sometime - I was looking forward to an easy install

Have you tried contacting Advanced Adaptors for some tech help? Just curious what they have to say.

I wouldn't worry too much. This is my first major attempt at anything so I don't have a lot of experience working on vehicles. That's probably half the problem. I found out the issue this morning, it was the bearings. The bearings didn't have enough grease on them and kept falling as I attempt to tighten the adapter into place. Got the t-case bolted onto the tranny and the bellhousing on. Just waiting for it to dry off so I can't paint the t-case and rig up something to make the t-case shifter work correctly.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Check and make sure the roller bearings have not fallen out of place.
one may be out of place and causing it to bind.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
josimps2 said:
I wouldn't worry too much. This is my first major attempt at anything so I don't have a lot of experience working on vehicles. That's probably half the problem. I found out the issue this morning, it was the bearings. The bearings didn't have enough grease on them and kept falling as I attempt to tighten the adapter into place. Got the t-case bolted onto the tranny and the bellhousing on. Just waiting for it to dry off so I can't paint the t-case and rig up something to make the t-case shifter work correctly.

Glad you finally got it. It was starting to bother me that you could not get the adapter seated. When I did mine, I used this real nasty stuff to hold the bearings in. It was grease but it was nasty. Even fast orange would not take it off my hands.