• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NW Oregon - Memorial Day Weekend Bronco Gathering

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Memorial Day Weekend Bronco Gathering

• Place: Tillamook State Forest (Brown’s Camp and Jordan Creek areas) This is a large designated area for Off Road use with a fairly extensive trail system that consists mostly of rocky logging trails. Difficulty level range from easy 2WD stuff to Extreme Rock Crawling. For the Extreme stuff you can either participate or simply sit back and watch.

• Dates: People will begin arriving Friday May 27th although others may arrive Saturday or even Sunday morning. Come out just for a day or stay all weekend until Monday May 30th if you wish.

• Who is invited: This will primarily be a small gathering of Bronco’s for a weekend of fun playing on the trails in the Tillamook State Forest but any capable off road vehicle is invited. The only thing we ask of you is that you respect the forest. If you pack it in then please pack it out. Too many trails and off road areas have already been closed due to people abusing them and we want to keep them open for many years to come by doing our part.

• What to bring: You will need to bring your rig and be responsible for ensuring that it is safe. Camping will be primitive and you will need equipment, food, water, etc. for whatever length of stay you choose. You will also be responsible for having an Oregon Off Road ATV permit which costs $10.50 at many businesses near the area and is also available at local GI Joes stores.

• Where to meet: Further information will follow regarding where to meet along with a map to the area.

Please respond below if you plan to attend. So far we have 6 rigs including:

Ron (Bronco Sport) with 2 rigs
Dan (GoFastCrackPipe) with one rig so far. (Potentially more)
Rick (SaddleUp) with 3 rigs

There are a few others that have shown an interest in going but that have not confirmed yet.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
A bunch of us Bronco guys in the Seattle area are looking for a place to go wheel. We might be able to make it if we don't end up going to Naches, WA for Funny Rocks and Moon Rocks... %)

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
68 Broncoholic said:
A bunch of us Bronco guys in the Seattle area are looking for a place to go wheel. We might be able to make it if we don't end up going to Naches, WA for Funny Rocks and Moon Rocks... %)
Maybe some of the pics in these two posts will help you decide. They are from the first run we went on this year.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61507
http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61444

I just heard from Steve H (doghows72) as well. If he comes down (Sequim area) then he will probably bring 3 rigs. It is still up in the air for him though depending upon whether his visiting brother is willing to make the drive. He is also trying to get ahold of one of the off road magazines that had expressed an interest in going so that is also a possibility.

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I've been contemplating camping arrangements and while I'm sure we can find a nice area out there none of them are guaranteed. Because of this my thought right now is to post several locations with maps and directions. Then I can head up there Friday morning and pick out one of them. I could then call someone that will be going up later in the day, perhaps Ron (Bronco Sport), and let them know which one we will be at so they can post here as to which one we will be at. Does this sound like a reasonable way to do it? Dan if you are still planning to head out Friday morning we could meet up on HWY 26 somewhere?

GoFastCrackPipe

Loc.
Salem area
I am still planning on Friday morning... if my 3rd member is done by thursday night. Otherwise it might be Friday afternoon. I'll give you a call on Wednesday or Thursday when I know for sure.

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
GoFastCrackPipe said:
I am still planning on Friday morning... if my 3rd member is done by thursday night. Otherwise it might be Friday afternoon. I'll give you a call on Wednesday or Thursday when I know for sure.
Okay, are you going to try to get it in before you go out or wait until your out there?

I just looked over the weather forecast from now through next weekend and it looks like it will be nice. If so then it should dry out some through the week and make for nice trail conditions. :cool:

GoFastCrackPipe

Loc.
Salem area
Okay, are you going to try to get it in before you go out or wait until your out there?

If I get it by Thursday night, I'm going to try to put it in befor leaving Friday morning... that way I can at least get it broken in a little befor running it on the trails. If I am able to head out Friday morning, there is a McDonnalds just off HWY26 at the Glenco Rd. exit that we could meet up at.

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
I should be leaving my house around 6:00pm or so. Give me a call when you guys find a place to camp. I know the cell reception is terrible, I can also try you on the CB when we are close. I can't remember what channel you run though. I'm not sure what's going to be the best way to find you guys.

Later
Bronco Sport

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Here are the places I've picked out where we will likely be able to find a nice place to camp in the order that I will check for them.
My first choice will be right in Brown's Camp since it is the first one you reach when going up there and it has Restrooms and running water. The second place I will check is where we were before up Ben Smith Creek Rd. The third place I will look at are the spots near Lyda Camp (I'll actually check this on the way to Ben Smith Creek Rd. and return to it if necessary). Because a lot of ATV's come out and unload early in the morning near the camp sites I prefer to get into either of the first two if possible. The last two I will check are the Diamond Mill and Jordan Creek Camping areas. Both are further away from most of the 4wd trails and I have never actually stayed in either one. If none of the above are available then I will locate an area near one of them and then when I call I can provide further instructions. Ron, can you post up here after I call to let people know where we end up at? There is still the potential for about 4 others to show up and Steve might not know if he will come down until the last minute.

Attachments

• Browns-Camp-OHV-Staging-Are.jpg
    Browns-Camp-OHV-Staging-Are.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Ben-Smith-Creek-Road.jpg
    Ben-Smith-Creek-Road.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Lyda-Camp-OHV-Staging-Area.jpg
    Lyda-Camp-OHV-Staging-Area.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Diamond-Mill-OHV-Camping-Ar.jpg
    Diamond-Mill-OHV-Camping-Ar.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Jordan-Creek-OHV-Staging-Ar.jpg
    Jordan-Creek-OHV-Staging-Ar.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Bronco Sport said:
Great maps! You still have my cell number, right? After I get a call from you I will post the location.
Looks like we might get some great weather too! :cool:
Yes, I still have it. If I dug around enough I could probably find a home number as well from when you got the roll bar. I should be able to find someplace to get reception especially if it is nice out. (Which it looks like it will be) Worst case is that I will need to drop down to the highway.

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
GoFastCrackPipe said:
If I get it by Thursday night, I'm going to try to put it in befor leaving Friday morning... that way I can at least get it broken in a little befor running it on the trails. If I am able to head out Friday morning, there is a McDonnalds just off HWY26 at the Glenco Rd. exit that we could meet up at.
We have had many breakfasts and an occasional dinner at that Mickey D's so I know right where it is. We'll see how it goes with your rearend parts and go from there.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Last weekend

How come you didn't enter in the TTC last weekend? All over that area last weekend. Great competition.

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
nvrstuk said:
How come you didn't enter in the TTC last weekend? All over that area last weekend. Great competition.
I didn't even know about it or I probably would have. Who put it on? Any more coming up?

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Is it Friday yet? With this nice weather I'm getting a real good itch to get up there. Looks like almost a perfect forecast for a fun weekend playing on the trails. We even might get enough of a sprinkle saturday to knock the dust down. I even decided to take my top off. (I will take it with me though, just in case)

Anyone else going? We haven't had a weekend around here that will be this nice for wheeling in quite a while.

GoFastCrackPipe

Loc.
Salem area
Well my 3rd member and axles are not going to be done until next Tuesday or Wednesday so I am definitly leaving Friday morning. What time were you planning on heading out?

OP
OP
SaddleUp

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I figured between 8:00 and 9:00. It takes me about 45 minutes to get over there from here if I go over Germantown. A little longer to go up 26 instead. I'll probably watch the traffic reports and go from there. Since I'm pulling the trailer my preference is to stay on the freeways though to avoid the narrow corners going up Germantown Rd.