• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NWMP 23 gallon tank mounting with a skid plate question.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Cutting the notch in the front of the NWMP tank back around '86 was the first time I modified it. I cut appr 3" down from the top, leading edge to allow the top to fit flat against the body and up almost flush with the rear crossmember.

Did it again to another NWMP tank when I installed a different body lift, then modified the tank again when I put 4 individual pickups in the corners of the tank, modified the same tank again when I stretched the rear axle back 7" and kept it at 22+gal capacity with a 4 link... all fits tight.

All I'm tryong to say- is do it right, do it the way you want! ;)

Have fun, go wheeling...

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
nvrstuk, Great advice! I was going to cut it down at first and decided to add spacers for now and see how it goes. I would gain an inch of clearance if I did cut it and take out my new spacers, I have a 1 inch body lift. On the positive side, I am able to reach the sending unit without dropping the tank. I will finish everything else up and revisit the tank when I get there.
I appreciate the reply, always good to hear how someone else modified a part.
Thank You and Have a Good One!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yes and no.

The standard strap is used to help get it in place. Then the skid plate sucks up tight against it holding it in place.

No way can I hold the gas tank with or without gas in it, AND hold the skid plate in place. This installation method allows one guy to do it easily.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any crud build up between the tank and skid plate?

I just got mine bolted up today with the belly strap. I'll work on getting the skid plate mounted after I get the exhaust, fuel lines, springs, axle and locker installed.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I have always been concerned about that...seems like every 5-8 yrs I pull it out for another mod. :)

NO issues ever...I wheel it alot. Always was worried a pc of gravel would get in there and rub a hole or something...

No worries after 30 yrs of running it that way...

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
nvrstuk,
Great pics! I am going to run mine like it is for now and see how I like it. I am happy to see that yours went smooth and works great. Glad to hear that nothing is getting trapped between the tank and plate as well, that was also a concern on my end. Thanks for posting up the pics and all the advice. Always appreciated! Very nice Bronco as well Sir!
Merry Christmas!