• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

O.K. Is Ford mking the Bronco behind our bcks? or did NPR radio get it wrong???

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Go the NPR.org
Click on "things concidered"

Today (may 27) the front news article "US boosts effort to train afgan police"

Hit the Listen now Icon.

5 minutes and 35 seconds in hear about the line of "New green Ford Broncos with the machine gun mount on the rear roll bad for the british PKM gun"
What the Fu$%?????
I heard the news clip twice on the radio today.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Interesting, wonder if it is a rebadged Ranger 4 door? In the pics thats all I could see that would resemble what they were talking about.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Or this is the Bronco made in Singapore, not sure who the vendor is. But it is what they are using there supposedly.

Attachments

• bronco1-steng.jpg
    bronco1-steng.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 152
OP
OP
reamer

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The radio report clearly states "Ford Bronco".
4-door Ranger??? I've been waiting for that for years! get rid of that damn Sport-trak

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
If I could stomach listening to NPR I would listen to it....

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The 4-door Ranger has been made for many years. Just not inside the US, so it doesn't meet DOT specs, so it can't be imported without LOT$$$$ of mod$. So it's possible the Bronco is still in production, too, but I haven't heard about that.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I thought the Sport Trac was a 4 door Ranger???

Just called an Explorer so they could jack the price up some more.

Are the Rangers and Explorers not the same vehicle underneath?

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
I listened to it...just because they're new to them doens't mean they're "new"...they did mention that they had higher suspensions, bigger tires, etc.

bptommy

Loc.
Arlington, TX
this is the company providing trucks to the afghan police , I think the npr reporter was just mistaken. " ford bronco " is an iconic name if they say ford ranger it dosent paint the same picture for the world wide audience that npr has. I searched afghan police and these are the pictures i came up with.

something else I thought of maybe they are throwing the bronco badges on the the "four door ranger" or other ford truck due to some legal import export issue.

company exporting trucks
http://www.globalfleetsales.net/vehicles_list.php

pictures of trucks
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/2315459747_903524b142.jpg

http://blog.cleveland.com/world_impact/2009/01/large_Afghanistan_Police-Dec6-08_Meye.jpg

tejayandtina

this is the company providing trucks to the afghan police , I think the npr reporter was just mistaken. " ford bronco " is an iconic name if they say ford ranger it dosent paint the same picture for the world wide audience that npr has. I searched afghan police and these are the pictures i came up with.

something else I thought of maybe they are throwing the bronco badges on the the "four door ranger" or other ford truck due to some legal import export issue.

company exporting trucks
http://www.globalfleetsales.net/vehicles_list.php

pictures of trucks
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/2315459747_903524b142.jpg

http://blog.cleveland.com/world_impact/2009/01/large_Afghanistan_Police-Dec6-08_Meye.jpg

Anybody else catch the sign in the second pic;D

dnash

Loc.
The home of Ford
I thought the Sport Trac was a 4 door Ranger???

Just called an Explorer so they could jack the price up some more.

Are the Rangers and Explorers not the same vehicle underneath?

No, the Sport Trac is an Explorer platform which is much different than the Ranger platform that has been around forever. It has IRS and the same interior.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I thought all the trucks in afgan were toyota's?

Hardly. There are a few old ones still running around but Most of the trucks are Rangers with a 2.5L turbo diesel engine. The cab looks very much like a toyota cab but the fenders and front end are definity Ranger. The rear axle also looks like its from a toyota its defintely not a 8.8in because it has the drop out center section like the toys and ford 9in. They probably buy axles from the same place toyota does.
I really wanted to drive one of those beasts but we didnt have any im my unit.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The difference between the Sport-Trac & the 4-door Ranger is sort of like the difference between the Camaro Z28 & the Firebird TransAm, or between the old Celica & the Celica Supra. They began the same, and slowly diverged. The BroncoII also evolved from the Ranger, but thankfully, it was put out of its misery & the Explorer Sport was nothing like it.

1Ton73

Loc.
Roseburg, Oregon
Just to clarify things, I know first hand, the Afghan govt. is being provided 4 door 4x4 Ranger pickups, not Broncos or Toyotas. Toyotas however are the most commonly used vehicle in Afghanistan.

If there was even anything badged a "Bronco" I'm sure I would be aware of it and would have a pic of one by now.