• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OEM power steering upgrade questions

snick

Contributor
I'm upgrading my 69 302 manual 3 speed with a 73-75 OEM system. I have researched it thoroughly on this site and others but was unable to find a couple things.

1. I know that I need the 2 piece steering shaft from a 73-75. Are the 73-75 PS 2 piece shafts any different between manual and automatic transmissions. I know the columns are different but wasn't able to find if I need to specifically find the 2 piece shaft from a 73-75 manual or if they're the same and I can use one off of an automatic.

2. I know I need 2 double grooved pulleys but am not sure which ones and where exactly they go?

3. Does anyone have the hardware and belt info including the bolt sizes (diameter, pitch, and length) nuts, washers, etc (pretty much any and all hardware mounting info for the entire upgrade). I have the stock power steering box, pump, reservoir with bracket, and cooling system between the pump and box. But unfortunately none of it came with the stock hardwar

4. Are there any good complete write-ups on the installation of the stock upgrade out there? The info I've obtained so far has been scattered from a bunch of different places.

Appreciate the help, thanks

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
1. I am not sure but I think they are the same.

2. You will need the double groove crank and water pump pulleys.

3. Do you have both pieces of the mounting bracket? The stationary bracket mounts with two of the bolts in the water pump. The adjustable bracket mounts with this stud http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/P_S_pump_bolt and another bolt. Can't remember the size.

As far as belt info you should be able to just ask for stock belts from a '73 or later Bronco with factory power steering.

Here is a picture of an aftermarket setup. The bracket looks a little different but the mounting is the same as a stock system. http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Steering_Pump_Bracket_Kit

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
1. I know that I need the 2 piece steering shaft from a 73-75. Are the 73-75 PS 2 piece shafts any different between manual and automatic transmissions. I know the columns are different but wasn't able to find if I need to specifically find the 2 piece shaft from a 73-75 manual or if they're the same and I can use one off of an automatic.

I do believe they are the same. Shaft differences are between manual steering and power steering and I know those are interchangeable.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If you do not have the connecting shaft I would not buy one but change to the more modern sliding double D shaft in its place. Much safer in an accident. If your going to have to spend the money anyway it would be a good upgrade.