• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

off road lights

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
what's everyone runnning for off road lights now days? i need to get rid of the el-cheapo lights on my bumper that are rusting and put something usefull up there. i've heard of some lights that are like 30 lumines (sp), do i need something like that?

i don't want to spend $300 on a pair of lights, but i want something decent. don't really like the HUGE look, but i suppose i could get used to them, nothing over 7" if possible.

let's see pics of what you're running, and what they cost.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
What El cheapos are you running?
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hel...Performance_Lighting/Performance_Lighting.jsp
Look at the black magics and the model 500 both are relatively cheap.
$75 for the 500's and $220 for the black magics. Also like the ne KC slimlights which range from $150-$180 depending on beam and finish. I just went through the whole lighting choice thing trying to figure out what to get. Luckily 68Steed had a spare set of PIAA's for me to test out at SOB;D

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
They don't come much better than this, IMO

Liteforce

They are adjustable from wide to narrow beam, extremely light, extremely tough and have replaceable covers so you can carry a set for fog...

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i was just looking at those. i think i've settled on the lightforce 140 lance. $190.00 shipped to my door.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
set of hella 550's for the front (with high power headlights)
set of hella 550's for the rear (hey i got a deal :))

1jeffm

Loc.
lumberton, nj
i bought a set of the Hella Black Magic of ebay for under $200. I think they are worth every penny. They came with all of the hardware and wiring need to hook up.

Dark Star

Loc.
Central USA
\.
73stallion said:
what's everyone runnning for off road lights now days? i need to get rid of the el-cheapo lights on my bumper that are rusting and put something usefull up there. i've heard of some lights that are like 30 lumines (sp), do i need something like that?

i don't want to spend $300 on a pair of lights, but i want something decent. don't really like the HUGE look, but i suppose i could get used to them, nothing over 7" if possible.

let's see pics of what you're running, and what they cost.

Hey 73, why not run 2 set of lights? I see people suggesting Lightforce. Well I don't know about you, but are you going to jump out of your rig everytime you want to adjust from a pencil beam to a wide angle? Not me, that's why I run DayLighters along with a good set of PIA driving lights for the wide angle effect with both on you get the best of both worlds

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
dangit, i'm having a hard time getting myself to spend the money! i'm only going to use these things twice a year, but the rusted bases on my current lights look like crap. bad thing is i never even wired them up, so they're basically still new. i never even powered them up!%)

anybody wanna buy a pair of 55w 5" off road lights? only thing that's rusted is the mounting bases. maybe that'd give me a excuse to spend the money!;D

Dark Star

Loc.
Central USA
73stallion said:
dangit, i'm having a hard time getting myself to spend the money! i'm only going to use these things twice a year, but the rusted bases on my current lights look like crap. bad thing is i never even wired them up, so they're basically still new. i never even powered them up!%)

anybody wanna buy a pair of 55w 5" off road lights? maybe that'd give me a excuse to spend the money!;D

Sand them smooth and paint them.

rob wilson

Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Dark Star said:
\.

Hey 73, why not run 2 set of lights? I see people suggesting Lightforce. Well I don't know about you, but are you going to jump out of your rig everytime you want to adjust from a pencil beam to a wide angle? Not me, that's why I run DayLighters along with a good set of PIA driving lights for the wide angle effect with both on you get the best of both worlds

That's just the point with the Lightforces, one can be set to pencil and the other to flood. My experience has been that one of these compares well to two of many others.

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
Dark Star said:
Sand them smooth and paint them.
i thought about that, but nah! i want something nice and updated.

this is killing me! my birthday is on the 17th, and i bought my truck on the 24 2001. this year is my 5th anniversary of owning the truck, so i gotta buy it/me something. i just don't know what!:p

Dark Star

Loc.
Central USA
rob wilson said:
That's just the point with the Lightforces, one can be set to pencil and the other to flood. My experience has been that one of these compares well to two of many others.

How do you figure? Meaning, one light is 115,000 candle power combined 230,000, while one Daylighter is 285.000 combined 570,000? Add into it a pair of PIA's drivings at 100,000 and you'll have way more lums than the light force split up as one wide and the other pencil.

Dark Star

Loc.
Central USA
73stallion said:
i thought about that, but nah! i want something nice and updated.

this is killing me! my birthday is on the 17th, and i bought my truck on the 24 2001. this year is my 5th anniversary of owning the truck, so i gotta buy it/me something. i just don't know what!:p

Tank of gas? Equals out to be the same maybe;D

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
You will love the light force 10x better then that other stuff and you won't have a gagle of lights on the bumper. I think bc has the 170mm for $200
I think the 140mm are around $50 less

OP
OP
73stallion

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i went to a zuki shop today and he had hella 500's on the shelf, i can get them with the harness for $65.00. i'm starting to lean that direction a bit.