• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Offroad Racing Suspension

jn2630

Loc.
Silverthorne, CO
What would be a good off road racing suspension setup? More importantly, what type will prevent it from tipping over to easily? Also what size lift, if any would be good?

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
coil overs and 4 link seems to rule offroad racing. but it's design needs to be well thought out to prevent being too tippy.
In one of my ramblings about a great weekend I had where I was given a ride in a class 8 truck described how the truck would lean until it hit it's limit, but felt very scary. I think it all depends on the depth of your pocket.

Quick edit: what are your plans for this suspension?

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
You need more than I can do for you.
Talk to CoachBarnes, Chuck @ BCbroncos, Phil Moulton, PBR. Be sure what you can do by SCORE rules and find a really good fabricator.
There are a number of people that know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to this stuff. I am an observer. The guys listed are participants.

Oh, almost forgot. Hell ya!!!!! Do it!

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
there's a lot more than just bolting on a few parts to turn it into a racer. the whole truck works together and the cage is incorporated front to rear with the suspension tied into it.
it's cheaper to buy a good used race truck than it is to build one from scratch.
rocky roads has a proven truck that is very affordable for sale currently.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying you can't do it, but if you aren't really familiar with what you are getting ito, you need to have a very deep check book on hand. you might really want to do some research on this before you dive in.
i'd suggest having a west coast builder do your build for you, as they will be far more familiar with what it takes to make something work properly and survive than someone unfamiliar or unexperienced in this type of truck construction.

racing baja is a great experience and unbelieveable thrill. best of luck to you. keep us posted.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
MpCrewcab said:
I am running 2 1/2" King Coil Overs/ 4 link front and rear. About $2500.00 for shocks alone.
You got off cheap, my brothers "play" car has 2G's in each corner. That's the King C/O's and the by-pass per.