• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

oh shit i'm in love.

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
at first it looked small. and well, old. but when i climbed in, i was home.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/7/0/30984870.htm

yes, the bronco had it's problems, but what it had going for it was really key. it drove like a dream. totally straight, very little play in the steering, very smooth, brakes worked well (and it didn't veer upon sudden stoppage) and i thought they felt easy to use for not being power brakes. we tested 4wd and that worked great. gears didn't pop out, didn't stall, sputter or let out a string of cherry bombs like the one did on monday, started right up, sounded good - and it just was a pleasure to drive. john my bronco buddy was very impressed.

the other great thing about it is that so much of it is original. original paint, original (grody) carpet, original seats (very comfy i might add) - you can really see what's going on in there without a bunch of stuff trying to mask it. and there was some stuff going on - it had been hit in the driver's rear side and had some bondo on the flare and part of the top and had a few dents here and there. the top didn't fit in right - it wasn't completely straight. i don't want a show car anyway, but that would promote rust i guess. the hood had a crack in it- something probably hit it and it had been bondoed and had a bit of surface rust. john said that really it didn't have a lot more problems than most 30 year old cars have and that the body was in average to less than average shape.

here's where it gets tricky:
the seller said a buddy of his at a shop quoted him $1500 to straighten it and paint it. i thought that sounded low.

no, i don't want a show car but i'm going to leave this thing in the rain - shouldn't the rust and straightening out the body be taken care of ASAP so it doesn't get worse?

and finally the big question:
what's it worth?

he wants $6k for it. john and i thought it was probably worth $4k for sure. of course the seller said that he doesn't care if he sells it or not (an old trick my daddy taught me about selling cars - it works because it's true!) so he didn't respond to my vague offer of $4k. i will probably call him tomorrow and talk to him more about it if i feel like it. but i have a feeling he's not going to go below $5500. guess that will all come out in the wash. i know it's only the second one i drove, but i just felt so comfortable in it i felt like i already owned it. well it helped that lucy (the white dog in the "this is not right" thread) came with me and she loved it too. the color even grew on me. it just felt right.

i guess my question is more about your experiences. does anyone feel like they got a good deal on your EB? from the posts i've read here, feeling ripped off but still glad you did it seems the norm. i don't want to let this one get away and then never find another for a good price. the seller was talking about flying around the country looking at broncos and how they were all misrepresented and it really wasted his time and made him mad. he picked this one because he knew what he was getting, and he saw the potential in it. i feel the same way.

how's that for a long post? lordy. thanks if you actually read the whole damn thing.

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
oh yeah, the other cool thing is that the last owner kept all the receipts and instructions and paperwork for everything he ever did in a 3 ring binder - the seller said it was really helpful when he went to replace parts he could tell not only what exact part to get but where he got the last one. pretty cool.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
If you are in love now, I say go for it and build upon this relationship and see what happens. If this new relationship does not work out, you can end it and start another, both hopfully having benifited. If the next one does not work out either, so what, start another one a little wiser and so on.

But it looks to me like you may have found your match ;)

Good Luck greasergrrl !

Amac70

ME
well i didn't get ripped off on mine and was very happy with my purchase. It was the first one i looked at and the first one i had driven. The motor looked like crap about a half inch of oil covering it and it had about 3 different color carpets patched inside. The body was fairly strait, but damn after that first drive i was hooked this was the bronco for me. cleaned the motor one of the valve covers was loose the only thing leaking. amazing how some people refuse to fix the little things. I blew the rearend out after about 2 weeks but i didn't care i thought i got a decent price and rearends are not that expensive. drove it daily for the next 3 years. even did a cross continent trip from az to ak. The motor didn't blow till i made it into a toy and not a daily driver. I don't drive it very often now mostly running errends(?) around town. but soon to be back on the trails again. All of that to say ya i love my bronco and will never part with it and i don't think i paid to much or got screwed.

ford67bronco

Loc.
Wisconsin
I definately didn't get ripped off on mine, my wife came home one day and said her friend's husband had a 67 Bronco with not much rust and a rebuilt 302 for $1000, so I sold her car and bought it. That was 4 years ago and I haven't had any major problems with it yet.

But I agree with astark, if you feel this is the one then do it, but don't give up on trying to talk the price down more, all you can do is try.

Good luck! 8)

MI-Bronco

<br>Move quickly!! And if you need to pay 5,500 - pay it. Don't try to save pennies and risk the opportunity (done that too often in the market). Remember, other vehicles will probably come with a transportation fee.<br><br>I paid $4K for mine in '82. Traded in a cj5 in Durango, CO. Drove it back to Lubbock, TX. (don't ask). Had an oil cloud in NM. No mechanical experiance then, found out later it was only a valve cover gasket. No big deal!!<br><br>I never regretted the purchase and will only give it up in my will!!!<br><br>Finish your page, source safe it, and call the guy!!<br><br>Good luck.<br><br>

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
Sounds like you found one that you want. <br><br>The one I bought was the first that I had ever driven and knew that I wanted it. Yeah, it has its qwirks, hek its 33 years old.<br>

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
People do many things when in love so if your Bronco review person says go for it then the only mistake you made is some $$$. Money comes and gos but the Bronco bug is a virus that gets in your DNA. And yes you need to get it water tight and the body work you get for 1500 is a crappy one day with a gallon or 2 of bondo and no prep work. Minium of double that if you find a good stock replacement hood needing no work and put it on first. You can always find a small shop to do the work on slack time cheap. Buy it drive the hell out of it for the rest of the summer and fall and when the weather turns sour find a small shop to do the body work. Oh and by the way start your list of wanta dos.<br>Sorry for the Bronco bug you now must declair it with all future mates and register with the CDC where ever you go. You are in the most contagious state for the next 2 years.

desertrat302

Loc.
Tucson,Az
Sounds like you found "the one"!<br>I say go for it.Ive bought a few cars based on "love at first drive" and have never regretted it.<br>It fits so much of the criteria that you have set,and is in your target price range,it sounds perfect for you.<br>5000-6000 is what they go for here comparably equipped.<br>Lots of cool things about this one too,beltline chrome,window chrome,Discs,Auto,L/S rear (Maybe front is too?),Warn hubs,D44 front end,winch bumper and what looks like an 8274 winch (?),and RECEIPTS!<br>Don't worry too much about the hardtop,once you take it off you'll likely never put it back on.Carpet is easy to replace.Hood-don't worry about it,you may wind up getting a fiberglass one later anyway.Power brakes are an easy conversion.No immediate need though,already has discs.<br><br>Good price,good options,good condition,runs good.<br>And the dog likes it.<br><br>Need I say more?<br><br>I hope your next post is titled "I Bought One!"<br>Good Luck! Rat<br><br>

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
[quote author=broncoswede61 link=board=5;threadid=8322;start=0#59064 date=1030116728]<br>Hey sounds great,but did you check under the carpet?In moist weather conditions the floors under carpet become a breeding ground for rust!<br>[/quote]<br><br>yeah, it hardly had any carpet. the floor in the front is fiberglass - he had metal replacements but hadn't put them in yet. the rest looked ok - will check more thoroughly when i go buy it ;)<br><br>i did call him and left a message - he is supposed to call me back sometime today. ;D

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
[quote author=greasergrrl link=board=5;threadid=8322;start=0#59072 date=1030118385]<br>[quote author=broncoswede61 link=board=5;threadid=8322;start=0#59064 date=1030116728]<br>Hey sounds great,but did you check under the carpet?In moist weather conditions the floors under carpet become a breeding ground for rust!<br>[/quote]<br><br>yeah, it hardly had any carpet. the floor in the front is fiberglass - he had metal replacements but hadn't put them in yet. the rest looked ok - will check more thoroughly when i go buy it ;)<br>Just factor into the price that you are going to want to replace those floorboards the right way....my biggest problems with my Bronco have been rust...Fix it right the first time,not the way I did it!...Good Luck<br><br>i did call him and left a message - he is supposed to call me back sometime today. ;D<br>[/quote]

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
[quote author=BrewDude link=board=5;threadid=8322;start=15#59081 date=1030119523]<br>Buy it before someone else does!!!<br>[/quote]<br><br>well he called and i offered $4500. he said he wants $6000. i might call him tonight and offer $5000 or even $5500. he works all weekend so i think if he doesn't take that i will still have time to mull it over without anyone else snapping it up.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Just dont take too much time g-girl, if you really want it that is. If its the ONE then you should go for it and not let anyone else have a chance. Good luck.

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
So, I was driving down 130th NE between 15th NE and Lake City Way yesterday morning. Near the bottom of the hill, say 20th, lives a white EB. I noticed it had a for sale sign on it. I don't know if you have looked at this one yet. but if you have only driven two, its not far from home, and might be worth a look.<br><br>I got mine for 3,000.00. I bought it from an old friend, who happens to be my brother in law now(wasn't then). Ernie is rusty and banged up, veers like hell when braking, wanders from lane to lane on his own, dies at inopportune times, doesn't appear to enjoy high altitudes, and needs SO MUCH to be "finished". Without any reservation I would have to say that it was the best purchase of a vehicle I ever made. <br><br>Don't rush in, if the top doesn't fit on the 74, it may leak once August passes. If you think it is worth 4G's, wave the cash in the guys face and see what he does.<br><br>Roll On!

TheLimeRanger

i say stand firm......a little negotiating is normal, but if the guy wont budge, and the top doesnt fit right......that ain't right.......i live in ny, and i flew to utah for mine.....the guy wanted 5k for it, he said he was negotiable. i get there, and all of a sudden he's firm on 5.......i originally offered him 4600, he said no......i came up to 4750, he still said no. Then i mentioned our conversation prior to me going out there about negotiating........well ps......i walked. that's right. i flew from Ny to Utah, and left the rig there. the guy pissed me off that much. He calls me a month later and i get it for 4600. lucky for me i have a friend in utah who took care of all the purchasing/delivery for me, and i had already seen it anyway. dont let him bully you into 6, espcially if the top doesnt fit right, that's just asking for trouble later.<br><br>scott