• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil leaking from valve cover bolts

vtboy51

I replaced my valve covers and gaskets last fall and now a small amount of oil seems to be leaking out around the bolts. Can I put some RTV in the bolt holes to help seal things up?

OP
OP
vtboy51

vtboy51

When you had it apart did you flatten and straighten the sealing edge and bolt holes ?

It's been a while now since I've swapped it, but from what I remember I just cleaned off the old gasket and layed down the new Perma Dry gasket and put things back together.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Cork or rubber gaskets? I'd take the covers back off, use a steel straight edge and flat ck them on the underside where the bolts come thru. They get bent in those areas from over tightening. A little ball peen/bucking bar action to straighten.

And yes use use a thin bit of high temp RTV (the Right Stuff by Permetex) is awesome.