• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil out the dip stick tube?

Vin-Man

Loc.
Milford, Illinois
I replaced the fancy lookin aluminum Valve covers with stock 302 covers because I couldnt get the aluminum ones to stop leaking. Now I have oil backing out the dip stick tube. Whats causing this?

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
It would have to be lack of proper crankcase ventilation or too much blowby. Make sure you have a pcv valve. There is a thread on here that discussed this recently.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
when a ring and one of the pistons cracked in my bronco it also forced a little oil out the dipstick tube. The blow by was pressurizing the crank case. Don't freak out try the pcv valve first. You musta messed with it when you replaced the valve covers.

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
I recently just changed my valve covers as well and had the same problem. All I had to do was to add a breather cap. After that no issues. It was a cheap fix as well.

OP
OP
Vin-Man

Vin-Man

Loc.
Milford, Illinois
Well, I had a mechanic look at the engine, because I felt I was a little out of my leauge. He said the PCV valve is working fine. He put a dab of silocone around the top of the dip stick tube, and stopped the leak. The other side just has a regular cap. Will a breather cap catch any oil, while letting the pressure that is evidently building up out? If i keep running it with the silocone holding the pressure in, am I asking for trouble somewhere else?

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
All I know is that I was going through oil like you would not believe. We tried resealing the valve covers because that was the last thing we had done before that started. I took ot to my mechanic and he stated that he had seen that a lot before and let me borrow one of his that he had aroound. Tried it out and it worked like a charm. No more issues with oil every where and I was going through quarts of oil like you would not believe just from intown driving.

OP
OP
Vin-Man

Vin-Man

Loc.
Milford, Illinois
Ok then, I'll have to see about getting a breather cap. Last night when I got home from work(driving the Bronco) I checked under the hood and the pressure had blown the PCV valve out of the valve cover. There wasn't any oil blown out of the hole though. It's definitaly worth a try.