• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil pressure sending unit for Explorer motor...

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
I have run into a slight delimma. I was told to get the proper sending unit for the original motor not the explorer motor. The problem is, the original sending unit wont physically fit on the new motor. Its too big and hits the block. So heres the question, what is the proper sending unit for the explorer motor to work with the original guage cluster?

6daze

You need the extension housing. I believe jbg and wh sell it.

6daze

62b0a7e5-4d7f-d0e5.jpg

This

OP
OP
Crewwzin

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Any particular reason for the upward angle of the sending unit? Is it for clearance of another component or just to look cool?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The 45° allows it to clear the PS pump on certain installations - if it was straight, you couldn't spin it out of the way. But you don't need that machined part; common plumbing fittings from a local hardware store work fine.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Or you can get a shorter factory hex extension from a 6 cyl. Explorer.

Attachments

• 0109112154.jpg
    0109112154.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Crewwzin

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Or you can get a shorter factory hex extension from a 6 cyl. Explorer.

Which years or any 6 banger?

Also, where did you get the threaded piece that allows the oil filter to attach to the block, thereby deleting the oil cooler the explorer motor came with?

mattt

Bronco Guru
I know the same generation Explorer(~96-01?) that came with a 4.0 have this short extension. I haven't looked at earlier or later ones to see if it's there.

I think that oil filter mount threaded piece is available from Ford if you can't find it elsewhere. My engine is a Gen 1 Lightning and that came with the oil/water cooler like the Explorer has. When I took the oil/water cooler piece off, the threaded piece you see was there.

Last edited: