• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil pump and pickup

KyddsPly

Yesterday driving down I five might oil light comes on. Pull over and check the oil completely full. Deafly no oil pressure, can hear the rockers. So my question is this, does anybody have a part number for a high volume pump and new pick up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jckkys

Bronco Guru
What oil pan are you using? Some high volume oil pumps don't like the dual sump pans and the kind of pickup is determined by what pan.

OP
OP
KyddsPly

KyddsPly

Well that's the other thing, I'm going to put a new pan on. Does Any dual oil sump 302 pan work?

As far as the pump, I'm using a melding high volume pump, and replacing the pick up tube with One for a dual sump

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Have you taken it apart and examined it?
I've seen a high volume oil pump put too much load on the drive shaft and twist it right off.
I see no reason for a high volume pump for normal use.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Unless you have sloppy bearings (that is how they once did race engines as well) you don't need a high volume oil pump. As stated above it can cause more issues than it solves. There are better oil pump driveshafts and that is probably what your problem is. If by some chance the most lubed part of the engine did fail (the oil pump) Melling makes a real nice oil pump and upgraded driveshaft combo. You can pick up a standard volume version.

But you need to take it apart and find what failed first. Don't go buying parts when you don't know what you need.

OP
OP
KyddsPly

KyddsPly

no I have not pulled the pan down yet. I'm just looking at parts, to get a gauge out what I'm going to need. What's the pan is down I'll know for sure what the issue was, is.

As far as going to the high volume pump, it was what the engine builder put in when the 347 was built. I was just under the assumption I should replace it with a like and kind if it needs it.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
no I have not pulled the pan down yet. I'm just looking at parts, to get a gauge out what I'm going to need. What's the pan is down I'll know for sure what the issue was, is.

As far as going to the high volume pump, it was what the engine builder put in when the 347 was built. I was just under the assumption I should replace it with a like and kind if it needs it.

A stroked motor shouldn't need a high volume pump.

OP
OP
KyddsPly

KyddsPly

I'll look into a regular pump. Thank you