• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

oil pump broke...

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
damn oil pump went out while driving down the road. are all oil pumps the same or are there stronger ones out there that wont break on me again. what oil pumps yall use?

74bronc

Bronco Guru
What do you mean that it"broke"? Did the shaft break or did the gears explode? Or it just quit pumping? I rarely hear of an oil pump dying, but I guess it does happen. A stock replacement (Melling) should be just fine but I would recommend upgrading the oil pump driveshaft. They are available from every performance part manufacturer out there. Mine is a High Volume Melling but I would just use a stocker next time. i hear the SBF oil system is one of the best in any small block motor ever built. good luck

OP
OP
komodo72

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
im thinking it was just the shaft. i got a buddy thats gunna upgrade the shaft for me. just wondering if there were any big differences in oil pumps.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I have had good luck with TRW, they come with new hardened drive shafts. They are cast iron housings rather than the stock aluminum housing.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I had my oil pump go out in my 72 yeaers ago. I just replaced it with a stock one and never had another problem with it. Some of the bronco pans will not allow for a high volume.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
8) 8) 8) If you go HV on the pump get one for the ford van motor as they have cap screws insted of bolts and wont put holes in the bottom of your pan good luck. ::) ::) ::) Bill 8) ::) :p

74bob

Loc.
Broomfield,CO
I once had a 79 Bronco that sheared the distributor gear roll pin when it downshifted into second on an uphill climb on the highway :eek:. Luckily we were on our way home after a day of wheelin ;D. Seems the oil pump locked up while spinning high rev's sheared the pin in the gear. Removed the pan and found small pieces of what appeared to be carbon had gone through the pickup and locked the oil pump gears. Cleaned out the pan and replaced the pump and never had the problem again.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
what ever pump you go with is fine but the hardened shaft that they come with is better than stock but for real insureance I'd go with a ARP shaft they are only about $ 17 and they are a lot thicker than the stock also if you decide to go with a HV pump this shaft is the way to go

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=wildbill link=board=5;threadid=20288;start=0#msg155904 date=1058810576]
8) 8) 8) If you go HV on the pump get one for the ford van motor as they have cap screws insted of bolts and wont put holes in the bottom of your pan good luck. ::) ::) ::) Bill 8) ::) :p
[/quote]

Thanks Wildbill!

G

good dialog

When shopping for a replacement pump shaft, don't get too excited about larger sizes. The ends have to remain the same size to fit the pump and distributor. If you use too fat a center section all the torsional load is focused on the short end lengths.
Picture the pump shaft as a torsion beam. Under load it should yield uniformly along it's whole length. With that design, it can offer the longest fatigue life.
Also, think of the pump shaft as a fuse. If it does experience an accute failure, it's the least expensive link in the chain.
Am a huge fan of ARP products.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=20288;start=0#msg155878 date=1058803820]
I have had good luck with TRW, they come with new hardened drive shafts. They are cast iron housings rather than the stock aluminum housing.
[/quote]

Well I just found out you can't get TRW oil pumps any more. I have also used Sealed Power and Clevite with much success.

I agree with Skuzzlebutt, the shaft breaks as a result of a problem with the pump.