• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ol Reliable

Nathan43

Loc.
Provencal, Louisiana
Well I've been looking for awhile and have probably annoyed a couple of the members here,but I finally bought my first Bronco. She's a proud 74 and ready to go.

It has metal riveted to the front floorboards, they do have a little rust in them.
The color code is R for seqouia brown metallic.
The paint looks ugly in the pics but really grows on you in person.

It also has a tag above the drivers door hinge that I don't know what is for, can anyone chime in? The pic of it is below.
Its has
D2AF-12A164
(Ford Emblem)
Stemco

Features
-------------------
-Automatic
-Power steering
-Power Brakes
-New Tires one still has the sticker on the tread

Problems
----------------------------
-Wiring ?:?
-Only real rust is in tailgate and passenger rocker
-Needs the usual gaskets
-Mostly just little things
-Will find more........
-Power steering leaks

More info
-------------------
Dso 57
Body 34
Type/Gvw U152
Color Code: R

I need to become contributer but don't have paypal right now so here are the pics. Sorry and thanks.
http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/ghillesniper43Nathan43/library/Ol Reliable?sort=3&page=1

Last edited:

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Tag is indeed interesting; I'm sure some of the guru's will chime in with its relevance.

DSCF9075_zpsgo4qk7pi.jpg

DSCF9074_zpstyqxjnkg.jpg

hucklburry rev2

That stemco thing on the door post has 2 wires out the back, ambient temp switch I think its called, which would retard timing over certain temps, something like that. Doubt it works, was on other ford trucks of the time

OP
OP
Nathan43

Nathan43

Loc.
Provencal, Louisiana
That stemco thing on the door post has 2 wires out the back, ambient temp switch I think its called, which would retard timing over certain temps, something like that. Doubt it works, was on other ford trucks of the time

Just went and looked at it. Theres a 2-wire disconnected pigtail under the dash on that side. I felt around in the gromet and it seems there is something attached to the backside of it. That explains it thanks.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
That tag actually renders the Bronco virtually worthless. Since I am a nice guy, I will take it off your hands though. :) Seriously, nice catch! Hey, we all piss someone off at one time or another!

67RT

Bronco Guru
Nice truck. I like it. Ginger is a cinnamon. See here.

Attachments

• ginger.JPG
    ginger.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 150
OP
OP
Nathan43

Nathan43

Loc.
Provencal, Louisiana
Last edited:

67RT

Bronco Guru
That is good. That means your glove box tag probably matches your car.. Probably one of the most desirable Bronco colors (my 2 cents!)

OP
OP
Nathan43

Nathan43

Loc.
Provencal, Louisiana
I went in sunday and ordered a new ignition control module, got it today and she had the wrong plugs. My bronco is a 74 so thats what I ordered it for. The control that was in it had a blue strain relief (not sure if that is what it is called) and the new one had a black one. Do I have the wrong harness in my bronco? black is for 74 and 75 and blue is 76 right

And is there a difference between the coils because we had the slide on ones in the bronco but the 74 coil I bought had the nuts and bolts that held them on.

Last edited:

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Here is a 73 Hot Metallic Ginger...The stimco thing was removed from mine and a interior light door switch installed.

Nice find...Ready..Set..Go!!

Attachments

• CIMG0255.JPG
    CIMG0255.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 124
OP
OP
Nathan43

Nathan43

Loc.
Provencal, Louisiana
Here is a 73 Hot Metallic Ginger...The stimco thing was removed from mine and a interior light door switch installed.

Nice find...Ready..Set..Go!!
Very nice paint on that one! I believe I'll go with the original paint with white accenting. It'll be a long time until she gets paint though

This build is ago right now just having a big confusion on ignition.:p

OP
OP
Nathan43

Nathan43

Loc.
Provencal, Louisiana
Well been having trouble getting her running. Timings off, carb probably needs work, and vacuum lines are ah "lacking." Anyone have any tips on what order to fix (or try) them. Will have pics of vacuum lines in the morning, as it seems vehicle specific.

syndicate1

Contributor
Well I've been looking for awhile and have probably annoyed a couple of the members here,but I finally bought my first Bronco. She's a proud 74 and ready to go.

It odly has metal riveted to the front floorboards, but they do not have any rust in them.
The paint looks black from further away but is actually a really dark green and seems to be original. The color code is R, and according to this site (http://www.broncohio.com/tech/ebvins.html) it is called Ginger Met.
The paint looks ugly in the pics but really grows on you in person.

It also has a tag above the drivers door hinge that I don't know what is for, can anyone chime in? The pic of it is below.
Its has
D2AF-12A164
(Ford Emblem)
Stemco

Features
-------------------
-Automatic
-Power steering
-Power Brakes
-New Tires one still has the sticker on the tread

Problems
----------------------------
-Wiring ?:?
-Only real rust is in tailgate and passenger rocker
-Needs the usual gaskets
-Mostly just little things
-Will find more........
-Power steering leaks

More info
-------------------
Dso 57
Body 34
Type/Gvw U152

I need to become contributer but don't have paypal right now so here are the pics. Sorry and thanks.
http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/ghillesniper43Nathan43/library/Ol Reliable?sort=3&page=1

Congrats man! What size are the tires?

turbotim2

Looks like a nice find. Sounds like someone upgraded the wiring and ignition at some point. When you say trouble getting it running, can describe what it is doing? Vacuum lines are a cheap and easy fix and a carb rebuild is too.

OP
OP
Nathan43

Nathan43

Loc.
Provencal, Louisiana
Congrats man! What size are the tires?

32s I dont like them very much but at least they are new!

Looks like a nice find. Sounds like someone upgraded the wiring and ignition at some point. When you say trouble getting it running, can describe what it is doing? Vacuum lines are a cheap and easy fix and a carb rebuild is too.

She has backfired though the carb a few times and we know the timings off. Does she need to be around 8-10* before TDC right?

OP
OP
Nathan43

Nathan43

Loc.
Provencal, Louisiana
Well got her running pretty good today. Figured out she had a cam with a 351 firing order, the hard way:p. Couldn't of had a bigger smile than the first time I drove it! She clunks pretty bad when shifting into reverse, supposed to have a new driveshaft and gears in the rearend. Thatll probably be a mess.

Will be changing the oil and hitting it with the timing light tomorrow. About where should the timing be?

Might get a video up on it soon.