• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Old school 351 swap questions

rekoj71

I've been searching for 3 hours cause I'm sure that half of you have done this and surely posted about it, but maybe I'm just so late to the party that any posts are so far back that I can't find them, so forgive me for posting what is probably considered a basic question.

I have a tired 302 currently and today I just picked up a 351W off of craigslist. the guy knew little about it as it is second hand to him for another project that didn't pan out, but the code on the side seems to tell me it's a 84-91 351w from a truck. The story (if it can be believed but i think it true by the looks of it) is that it was a Jasper rebuild, about 2000 miles but a few years ago. Model car it was in unknown (little to go on I know).

All I want to do is a basic old school swap of changing over the required parts from my 302 to the 351. I know about the alternator and power steering pump modification brackets and have them on order. I like the old school look so I'm not interested in serpentine parts. By what I have heard this should be simple but i just want to verify some things so that if I have to order more parts i might know what year/make/model I need to ask for.

1. Water Pump. the one on my 302 has the lower hose on the passenger side for a normal V8 radiator. The 351 I picked up is opposite, and the thermostat neck is straight up instead of the 45 degree like on my 302. It doesn't look like the water pump bolts line up (just a visual look as the 302 is still in the truck and still my driver) and that I would need to also swap the timing cover to keep the hoses routed the same. Is this correct.

2. Timing Pointer and Balancer. Due to the above lower outlet the pointer is on the other side also, so does my 302 Balancer also swap and work with the 351?

3. Intake thingy. Remember I don't have a specific year/model it was set up for. It didn't come with a carburetor, but the 4bbl intake on it is very flat/low, like I might need a spacer just to lift the carb up a bit so the linkages have room. Anyhow on the drivers side of the intake is a triangle shaped plate that is layed flat, secured by two bolts, and has a small lever/arm sticking out of it (EGR?). I don't know what it's for or what I need or can or should do with it. (I know pic would be helpful but not available right now). It probably had a link to the carb linkage somehow but I don't know for sure.

4. Oil Pan and pick up tube. Our pans obviously have the deep part of the sump at the back and this 351 has it at the front. Will my 302 pan still fit and do I just also swap the oil pickup or do I need some other parts.

5. Anything else I need to know but didn't ask.

If there are parts I need and if you can, could you suggest a year/make/model so the unknowing parts counter computer can find the one you are suggesting or even link to one of our great vendors here?

Again I apologize If the questions seem stupid but I don't want this to be down for much more than a weekend so I would like to have the hard to get parts found ahead of time. Also I didn't find one but if there was already a good how to thread in existence (I tried to find) please feel free to link it for me. Thanks in advance.

Other FYI, I already have the WH Buckaroo hood so I should have room. Transmission is a ZF so already have a hydraulic clutch. The 351 came with a distributor so I hope it works. I have the WH long tube headers which say 289/302/351 so I hope those will still fit and still exit close enough that my current tubes will fit.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You can put the old 302 timing cover on the 351. This gets you standard Bronco waterpump, timing pointer, pulley alignment, etc.

The low profile intake is a good thing. You might actually be able to close your hood without cutting a hole in it.

Oil pan is a different story. The larger bearings means the back of the 302 pan won't fit. You need a 351 rear sump pan and matching pickup. Any vender will have what you need.

You didn't mention distributor, the 302 won't work in the 351. You need a 351 distributor. The oil pump shaft is bigger and the bore in the block is different as well.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Use the water pump and all the front brackets with the couple adapters you ordered. You might have balancer and lower pulley issues. Dont know if you can use the 302 balancer but the 351 balancer probably has a 4bolt pulley. Wh might have 4bolt pulleys for the swap. Wh also has a driver side timing pointer. With the motor/balancer on tdc use timing tape on the balancer to match the driver side pointer.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
All the front dress parts off the 302 get transplanted to the 351, including the damper. The timing pointer comes with the timing cover. The thermostat housing goes on the 351 too. Your 4bbl intake sounds like an '80s truck EGR type like this;https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-351-W...800833?hash=item342f3c9cc1:g:o6AAAOSwJhhfQ0g5. There are 2 holes to plug up, the round one you describe for a cross over cut off, and the long oval one on the carb mounting pad for EGR. A preferable intake is the '69 Mustang 351 4bbl intake here;https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-...873492&hash=item3fe523a763:g:eK8AAOSwcT1fDQid. With this intake a 1" spacer with a PCV port will still fit under the hood.The oil pan you want is the '79-'91 Crown Vic dual sump, often called the 351 EB pan. Get the pickup, dip stick, and tube. Points distributors are OK if you're running points other wise get a 351 DurasparkII distributor. I'm in Tucson. So if the RV is in Az I can help you with a '69 intake and other parts.

OP
OP
rekoj71

rekoj71

Thanks guys, that all makes more sense now. The distributor that came on it is a Mallory Unilite that doesn't look very old so I'm hoping it works. My old was a Mallory and the wiring connector is the same so should be easy.

Yep Jckkys, that is the intake I have. Something to do with EGR was just a guess, but thought it broken as the little lever just spins freely. I didn't even notice the second hole as an old gasket was covering it that didn't have it cut out.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The round hole should be easy to seal with a pipe plug. The EGR "slot" type hole seems to be designed to be difficult to seal. The universal carb plates made of steel don't cover the whole opening, and it's a big span to weld. Failing to seal it means an exhaust leak. That's why I got the '69 Mustang intake.
I couldn't find a way when I needed it but just now I found this;https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-1996-...179299?hash=item1a9a5174e3:g:IRIAAOSwdXxe5QJI. It's made for marine 351s that don't need EGR.

Dlish

Looks like most of your questions are answered.
My tip would be to watch the back of the drivers head/valve cover area. Some people are able to drop the 351 in no problem. I had a clearance issue with the throttle and brake booster bolts that came through the firewall.

Hope yours drops right in, enjoy the power.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
My tip would be to watch the back of the drivers head/valve cover area. Some people are able to drop the 351 in no problem. I had a clearance issue with the throttle and brake booster bolts that came through the firewall.

If you have that issue, drop the engine in without the motor mounts first. Then fish in the mounts. Sounds strange but works.

hucktruck

Loc.
Missouri

If you have body lift this supposedly isn't an issue. I currently don't have any body lift so I ran into this problem too. I trimmed the booster bracket to clear the ds valve cover and am going to use a locar cable for the throttle. I also had clearance issues with my headers on the clutch linkage even after bending it so I'm going with a hydraulic clutch. More mods than I ever expected but I'm looking forward to the extra power.

Bronco4x4

Curious >> Are there any inner fender modifications for a 351 with headers? I know clearances are tight on the RH (passenger) side. Thanks for the good info above.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Lots of variables on headers. Every manufacturer does them a little different.
But in general, if they list them for fitting a 351 in an early Bronco, no modification needed.

Bronco4x4

Thanks. How close are they? Any heat issues with inner fender paint or raptor liner?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
look for torino v8 intake with 4 barrel, iron, but as low profile as they made them.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
There were many times the number of 351W 4 bbl intakes in '69 Mustangs as '69 Torinos. There are some who claim there were '70 351W 4 barrels, but my memory and reference books say the '70 4bbl 351s were Clevelands. I don't understand the fixation with Torinos. The intake rekoj71 has is the same height as the '69.
So considering the round hole can be easily sealed with a pipe plug at any automotive machine shop and the marine engine carb spacer I referenced to seal the EGR hole, there's no reason to look for a '69. Like the front dress he already has most all the parts needed.
Headers are another waste of money, when the 302 exhaust manifolds work as well or better, without the leaks, noise, or extreme under hood heat. Save the money for things that are needed.