• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Omaha Nebraska Re-wire help?????

DemoDicky74

Loc.
Omaha
First let me start by saying I am not expierenced in electrical work...So I took the plunge and bought a Centech harness to rewire my 74. I got it all in and hooked up without to many problems. Went to start the ops-check on it tonight and have the following issues:

1. Passenger side break lights wont come on.
2. I turn the key and nothing.

I have followed the basic trouble shooting techniques offered in the Centech rewiring guide to no avail. Being a normal guy, I must now swallow my pride and ask for help. If there is anyone in the Omaha, NE area that has expierence in rewiring an EB and that has any free time this week or weekend that can give me a hand I would sure appreciate it. I can offer a bottle of Russian Vodka that I hand carried back from Moscow a week ago as payment for your time/assistance in helping me get my beast started.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Check to see that everything is grounded! Also make sure that the solenoid is properly wired. I believe that it should make a clicking sound when you turn the key to start and get yourself a good voltmeter! Gook Luck and with a little patience you can get it figured out Im sure!!! :cool:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't collect on the Vodka from this far away, but until the troops arrive, I can give it a try from afar.

Are you saying that you don't get anything like radio, heat, lights and all? Or just no starting? Sounds like no start, but I wanted to make sure.
We can start there.

Paul

OP
OP
D

DemoDicky74

Loc.
Omaha
Good morning guys,

I spent a number of hours last night running wires and think I have the break light issue "Kind-of" figured out. I think it may be coming from the steering column. I have power running to the junction point under the dash that the wires come from out to the steering column. I think its one of the wires (labled: RIGHT STOP) that connects into that. I would like to actually "fix" it properly, but as a plan "B" can I bridge a wire from LEFT STOP over to RIGHT STOP to get both lights to come on when depressing the brake?

As for the starter. I tried switching the battery leads off of the seilonoid and got nothing. I switched back and got headlights, dash lights, etc... So I am assuming that is the correct set up. I had previously contacted Centech about wiring to starter seilonoid becasue I had 2 wires lables start on the harness...both the same colour. I was told one of them goes to the Duraspark module (which I dont have) and the other goes to the seilonoid. I tried both on it and got no starter cranking noise.

This totally sucks...At this point I am trying to avoid chasing wires for the "fun of it"...and I gotta get the wife off my A$$ about the Bronc being in the garage for the last 8 months. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Russian Vodka still available for anyone in the Omaha area that can come help me fix this.

If you are outside of the area, I may be able to post something via USPS as thanks for the assist.

OP
OP
D

DemoDicky74

Loc.
Omaha
broncoitis: Planning to run the grounds today to ensure they are properly placed and none were missed. LOL FuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuN.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I think it may be coming from the steering column. I have power running to the junction point under the dash that the wires come from out to the steering column. I think its one of the wires (labled: RIGHT STOP) that connects into that...

Easy way to check that circuit would be to turn the blinker switch to the RIGHT and see if that wire pulses voltage with the signal relay. Hitting the brake gives you power, but it's also giving power to the left side, so it's just easier to isolate when you use the signal.

...I would like to actually "fix" it properly, but as a plan "B" can I bridge a wire from LEFT STOP over to RIGHT STOP to get both lights to come on when depressing the brake?

Sort of. Yes, both brake lights will come on, but you'll lose your turn signals because of it. If you jumper them together, both lamps will light whether you're using your LEFT or RIGHT signals. Making it look like the brake lights are on and blinking.

...As for the starter. I tried switching the battery leads off of the seilonoid and got nothing. I switched back and got headlights, dash lights, etc... So I am assuming that is the correct set up. I had previously contacted Centech about wiring to starter seilonoid becasue I had 2 wires lables start on the harness...both the same colour. I was told one of them goes to the Duraspark module (which I dont have) and the other goes to the seilonoid. I tried both on it and got no starter cranking noise.

With the Centech, one Violet "START" wire will go to the "S" terminal (usually the left small one) and, in your case, the other is at least temporarily unused.
I would not cut it off though, as you may find a use for it later. Cap it and tape it out of the way.
So "normally" you would have the large Red Centech wire, the battery cable, then the Violet "start" wire, the "I" wire on the other small post (is it Blue or White? I forget) and then the other large cable down to the starter. That should round off the normal solenoid/relay connections.
If the large Red wire is on the large post under the POSITIVE battery cable, you will get power to the rest of the truck (assuming all the grounds and the battery are hooked up of course!). That's your main supply, along with the large YELLOW wire at the alternator output. They're actually just the two ends of the same wire. One end is Red, one end is Yellow.
You are using a stock alternator right now, correct?

See if any of that makes sense and helps.

Paul

OP
OP
D

DemoDicky74

Loc.
Omaha
Thanks for the info. I will give it another go tonight with the info you have provided, and post my findings for review. I really do appreciate your time and info on this. More as I try to sort this out.