• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Omg Omg Omg Omg Bestop!!

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
HotWheels said:
well that's crappy. wahteer happened to truth in advertizing?
I remember back in my high school days discussing advertising in one of my classes. Basically truth in advertising is a slippery concept. They can lead you to believe it is real sailcloth and even call it sailcloth without lying because sailcloth accurately describes the texture in it. They can even say it is more durable and quieter, and yes easier to clean, if they do not specify what it is more durable than, or quieter than, or easier to clean than. I'll even buy that it is more durable and quieter than their crush or prairie textures which is what most of us picture when we think of a vinyl top. (It's between 9 and 13 oz. heavier per square yard so the extra thickness and weight will make both true) Here are a couple of pictures from the sample card I have of the materials they are using. The white sailcloth isn't listed on this card but it should be identical to the black other than color. The second picture is of the cross section of the stuff they are calling sailcloth. It's a little hard to tell in the picture but the cut on it is completely smooth with no fibers on the outer portion. (It has a poly/cotton backing glued to it that does show some fibers) Don't get me wrong though. For a vinyl this stuff seems to be decent stuff that should wear better than the "crush" vinyl that is much thinner. What I don't like about vinyl though is it has a tendacy to rain inside from condensation whereas real sailcloth is going to be less susceptable to doing so.

Attachments

• TopVinylCard.jpg
    TopVinylCard.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 17
  • VinylSailClothXSection.jpg
    VinylSailClothXSection.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 12

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
SaddleUp said:
Maybe.... What does everyone consider the "Best of Both Tops"? I do have a few ideas I've tossed back and forth but I would rather hear some from others first before I decide whether to jump into something like this or not.
Here's my 2 cents.
Zip out side windows with the option to roll up. It just a couple of straps and snaps. It wouldn't add more more $.
Probably bestop's back window to tailgate attackment. STC's is terrible. Their old system was better.
STC or a new style front riser to make the top come off easy.
Bestops do have the better door upright.
STC has the better window layout. I do think the side window zipper flap is backwards though. The flap should go to the rear not the front.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
ken75ranger said:
Here's my 2 cents.
Zip out side windows with the option to roll up. It just a couple of straps and snaps. It wouldn't add more more $.
That's a good idea that I hadn't thought of.

ken75ranger said:
Probably bestop's back window to tailgate attackment. STC's is terrible. Their old system was better.
Does someone have a close up of the current STC tailgate setup. I've heard conflicting opinions of it. What about don't you like. (Until a few weeks ago I had the Bestop on mine so I know how it is set up already)

ken75ranger said:
STC or a new style front riser to make the top come off easy.
Bestops do have the better door upright.
I was thinking about something different. Primaraily because neither riser really fits in well with my ideas.

ken75ranger said:
STC has the better window layout.
I think the Bestop side windows are actually better because the bar inside is positioned behind vinyl instead of the plastic. The side windows in the STC are larger though. Then again the Bestop rear window is larger.

ken75ranger said:
I do think the side window zipper flap is backwards though. The flap should go to the rear not the front.
The Bestop zippers are set up so the zippers are different on both sides. I.E. None of the zippers can be put together if the wrong side window is used. Not a big deal though. The zippers should be set up for the easiest access though. (Not sure how the STC zipper is though so I'm not sure exacty what is refered to above)

Looking over the responses above I already know I can't (reasonably) make everyone happy if I make one. If there needs to be a choice between function and fashion then function will be first.

A couple of items I saw mentioned above but that were not really specified too much were Durability and cost which are 2 that I think should be included. Cost isn't really a feature but it is a consideration.

Here is what I see listed above:
Choice of Colors
Durability
Quietness
Easy to Clean
Window Choices
Fabric Choices
Powder Coating
Installation without drilling holes
Zipper Quality
Easy to put up/take down
Removable Windows/Curtains
Roll up option for windows/curtains
Option to install a carrier/rack on top (200 Lbs.??? Is that enough?)
Cost
Looks??? (I'm lumping this into one since it isn't apparent what people want here. Some people like all of the available. Some people don't like all of them. No matter what someone isn't going to like the way it looks I imagine)
Quality compared to the Bestop??? (I was thinking of aiming higher than that)
Lower riser??? (Tradeoffs for both, can't make everyone happy)
Easy tailgate access
Snaps vs. Rails??? (Not sure which here was more desired, again there are tradeoffs)
Easy installation.
Convertible top style hold downs??? Still not clear on either what is desired here or how it would even be accomplished short of tossing money at it. (I refuse to take out a loan to develop something like this)

If I missed something let me know. Obviously there is no reasonable way to include everything listed so what are the most important things? Any others not listed?

Hotwheels, I hope you don't mind the way this thread has turned. If so let me know.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I'll get you some decent STC pics later this week. Maybe we should go to a new thread. Sorry for the hijack Mick but it was in the best interest of the Broncos!:D

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
ken75ranger said:
I'll get you some decent STC pics later this week. Maybe we should go to a new thread. Sorry for the hijack Mick but it was in the best interest of the Broncos!:D
Thanks. We may move it out to another thread once I'm ready to get serious about the details. I think Mick figured out his original question early in the thread so hopefully we haven't stepped on any toes.

OP
OP
HotWheels

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
SaddleUp said:
I think Mick figured out his original question early in the thread so hopefully we haven't stepped on any toes.

all toes accounted for.

interested in continuing this discussion though...

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I can also get you some pics Rick, the pain of it is (STC) the back tailgate part has a plastic insert inside of the top that you have to fold and tuck under the lip of tailgate piece. And if your tailgate is just a lil bent (like mine) it's almost imposable to fold it under also the corners also have to fold under on top of the back window piece. Hope that makes since.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Skiddy said:
I can also get you some pics Rick, the pain of it is (STC) the back tailgate part has a plastic insert inside of the top that you have to fold and tuck under the lip of tailgate piece. And if your tailgate is just a lil bent (like mine) it's almost imposable to fold it under also the corners also have to fold under on top of the back window piece. Hope that makes since.
I think I got the idea. Pics are welcome. Especially if there is something you either don't like or that you really like well.

cootvon

Loc.
Little Rock, AR
rick, don't know if it helps or not, but the back window of my stc where it slips under the tailgate... comes out ALL the time. maybe it's my bad...who knows. on mine (and i may just be an idiot) the back window tucks in, then the back corners overlap that. therefore, half of the back corners are not attached at all. i know that doesn't make any sense, but maybe after a few pics you'll see what i'm talking about. i would take some, but i left my bronco 150 miles away after OCBR. (thanks for donating the cover btw)

jeff

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
cootvon said:
rick, don't know if it helps or not, but the back window of my stc where it slips under the tailgate... comes out ALL the time. maybe it's my bad...who knows. on mine (and i may just be an idiot) the back window tucks in, then the back corners overlap that. therefore, half of the back corners are not attached at all. i know that doesn't make any sense, but maybe after a few pics you'll see what i'm talking about. i would take some, but i left my bronco 150 miles away after OCBR. (thanks for donating the cover btw)

jeff

Its crap, except mine dont come out, you CAN'T get them out, I have to unzip the top of the rear window.

Id rather have the old snap version. was much faster.

ANd the part on the corners where you have to cram 2 flaps under the same metal, what idiot designed that?

Its very easy to make a fabulous top for an EB.

Just take the factory TJ top and re-size it so it fits EB's..

They are quick & easy to take down and put up, are tight and wrinkle free, and no gaps.

the TJ top is very well designed. the EB tops appear to be from the stone age compared to a factory TJ top.

I dis like Jeeps as much as the next EB owner, but the convertable tops on them are top notch, very well designed, and I suspect the new version will be even better.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
roundhouse said:
Its crap, except mine dont come out, you CAN'T get them out, I have to unzip the top of the rear window.

hmmm maybe it isn't because my tailgate is a little bent after all:(