• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Onboard Air Question

BroncoDon

Loc.
Laguna Hills, CA
The PO of my 68 put in an onboard air compressor. It is from a a/c unit. He said I need to add oil once in a while Why is that ?

Also when the tank is full of air do I need to shut off the compressor to stop producing air or will it shut off by itself ? If I don't shut it off will I damage the compressor?

Thanks guys

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D You need to add oil becuse it has a chank and rod and piston and they NEED oil just like your motor or they blow a rod and seaze up as for turning it off I dont now how it is wired it it has a presser switch then you dont but if it dosnt then you must turn it off hope this helps.%) %) %) Bill 8) %) :p

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Not knowing how the onboard air was build, I can't tell you what is going on with it. As for adding oil, you need to replace what gets tossed out with the air as it runs. Not knowing the compressor, that's about as far as I dare go on that point.
As for having to turn it off, Does it have a pressure switch? Should be something on the air line or tank that has wires attached. Those wires should run to the comressor. If you have this, then it is all automatic. If you don't, then you should add it to keep from burning up the compressor and blowing out airlines, etc.

OP
OP
B

BroncoDon

Loc.
Laguna Hills, CA
Thanks for the replies guys. I found a pressure switch for the a/c compressor. I filled the air tank and the switch shut of the compressor at 120 psi. and kicked back on again 100 psi. Does that sound about right ?

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
sounds appropriate to me. how big is your tank and where is it located?? we WANT PICS!!! (That is one cool toy to have on your rig)....