• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

One more D20 question

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Im just about done rebuilding my D20 J shift but I have a quick question. When I installed the front output, I put the spacer behind the front bearing like it shows in the on line catalog and WH breakdown. When I went to torque the flange nut, the flange bottomed out on the shaft. I took it apart again and double checked my work and everything looked good. Mine doesnt have the snap ring either. Put it back together and ran into the same problem. I dug through a box of parts I have for another case I'll be building and found 2 of the extra spacers?? So, I went ahead and put a spacer between the yoke and the bearing also and now everything seems good. Got my .006 front end play and everthing spins fine and seems to engage properly.
So what do you guys think? Just button it up and be done with it? I just dont understand why neither diagram shows the second spacer if its needed or how everything seems it working good if Im not supposed to have it. But I know for sure I have 2 J shift D20s tore down and 3 spacers so that extra one had to come from somewhere. And I'll just thank Viperwolf now for the info ;D

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Also. When I set endplay I got .006 with all the shims that came in my rebuild kit. I wanted it tighter so I took out the thinest shim. I was hoping for .001 but removing that shim left me with no measurable endplay at all. The shaft spun fine but I wasnt sure if that would be ok. What do you guys think on that? Better to be a little loose or a little tight? That shim is super thin but I dont have a micrometer. Almost thinking a tiny bit of preload would be better but I already coated the shim with hi tack and installed the cover. Worth cleaning and reinstalling or no?

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Yea. I got both spacers on there now. I guess I'll pull the shim pack and see if I can tighten up the endplay. I knew I should have waited to put the high tack on them until you chimed in. lol
The spacer question must be a common one since all the all the diagrams I've seen show the T shift and not the J.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There seem to be very few Ford diagrams of the J case and none (that I've found) of the J front shaft.

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Thats one of those little things that would be good to know. I also found a shim from my other case thats thinner than the ones in the rebuild kit so I'm going to swap it with the thinest new one and I should be good to go. Thanks for your help and advice. Im sending you a mental six pack of your favorite beer. ;D