• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

One Person Hard top remove

gjrock

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Anacortes,WA
The new Bronco driver Mag has a pic on the inside back cover of a guy using a bunch of ladders and wood to remove his hard top.It made me laugh,very clever.

a67and77

Loc.
Albuq.
I saw that...I used to get under my top and push my back and lift it off the Bronco looking like a turtle, then working my way back and off to the ground. Now I can't do that, hurts too much;D

ghost66

Bronco Guru
I just did that this weekend by myself, inspired by the Bronco Driver pics I used two ladders and a 2x4 pc of lumber, stacked 8 pallets at the end of the bronco and inched it onto the pallets, built a 2x4 ramp down the backside of the pallets and slid it off, my wife kept telling me I couldn't do it by myself.

BIGED

Guru ????
I take mine off by myself but i hang it from the ceiling in my shop. I open the doors slide a 2x4 over the rollbar use straps to pull it up, same on back but i just hook to the corners take it up thats where it stays till it goes back on.

RB Precision

Loc.
Duvall, Wa
Another way that works good is to weld up some square tube in an I shape and one piece that slides into your engine hoist, using it like a fork lift....

socalrick

Loc.
Tionesta
okay I bite. biged and rb I want pics of how you d that. I do the turtle and my back hurts for a few days afterward.

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
i've done the turtle walk.. im a little guy, 5'8 145 lol not very fun.

That's a great way to screw up your back! I messed mine up pretty bad doing that with a camper shell a few years back. Doctor visits, medications, MRI, physical therapy, $$, and about a two + year recovery period. It wasn't worth it!!!!

I got mine off once by sliding some 2x4's underneath the top with enough sticking out on the sides to get ropes around. Hooked the ropes into a chain hoist and lifted it off. Threw a blanket over the top to keep the chain from messing it up while I lifted/lowered. Took a little trial and error to get it to where it would lift it evenly, but got it off without too much trouble. Getting it back on like that wasn't as easy.

Thinking about fixing up a stand beside my shop that I can back up and slide it onto. I believe I can use a few pieces of PVC pipe to stick underneath the top that'll let it roll as I push it onto the stand. Works in my head anyway, I guess I'll have to try it and see.

subjb

Loc.
Napa, CA
Used to do the turtle walk pretty regularly, in my early 20's. That was when I worked out.. Alot. Now it would ruin me.

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
I've turtled my on but not off. I thought it was really pretty easy considering I've got 5.5" SL and 1" BL but I would not attempt with nice paint. I think taking it off would be a little tougher.

I want pics of how you d that

If there was someone there to take pics I would hope they would set down the camera and help!

bludorbronc

I always found it hard to lift it high enough by hand to raise it up to pull the corner supports out of the rear stake bed holes. They always wanted to bind.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I take mine off by myself but i hang it from the ceiling in my shop. I open the doors slide a 2x4 over the rollbar use straps to pull it up, same on back but i just hook to the corners take it up thats where it stays till it goes back on.

This is on my list of things to do... rig up a couple of straps from the ceiling, easy off and easy out of the way storage.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
I do mine myself, and I am a small guy, 5'5 125lbs, pull the John Deere up, strap the top to the forks and lift er off.

Stock68

I do mine myself, and I am a small guy, 5'5 125lbs, pull the John Deere up, strap the top to the forks and lift er off.

I gotta rig up some forks for my John Deere bucket. I've been putting 4x4's crossways under the top (hanging past the sides)-> I use the tractor bucket to lift 1 side-> I walk around & lift the other side by hand-> wifey drives the Bronco out from under top-> wifey sets up sawhorses under top-> wifey gently SLAMS the top down onto the sawhorses (doesn't have the touch for hydraulic controls) while I gently lower my side during the jarring tractor drop

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I gotta rig up some forks for my John Deere bucket. I've been putting 4x4's crossways under the top (hanging past the sides)-> I use the tractor bucket to lift 1 side-> I walk around & lift the other side by hand-> wifey drives the Bronco out from under top-> wifey sets up sawhorses under top-> wifey gently SLAMS the top down onto the sawhorses (doesn't have the touch for hydraulic controls) while I gently lower my side during the jarring tractor drop

If you get some long 4x4's you can keyhole them in the bucket (I do it all the time, just tilt the bucket all the way back and jam the 4x4's against the top lip) and use it like an extended fork lift. I'll get some pics next time I do it, works great!

DSGStang

Loc.
Katy, TX
I got mine off by myself.

2x4's and four straps at the corners. Just tightened them a little at a time until it was all the way up.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 75
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 54